Chapter 5 - You're nothing to me

Michiyo volunteered to assist the kitchen staff every day. The staff who didn't like her very much ended up growing a soft spot for her in the end. She's even going there on days where Inukai couldn't accompany her. Food finally tasted okay because of her because the kitchen staff finally regained their passion for cooking ever since she kept volunteering to help them. 

"The tomato soup is really flavorful. The prisoners really liked it." She didn't know this but every time she let the staff know how the prisoners felt about the food on a daily basis, it was slowly igniting their passion and motivation for cooking yet again. "If they're full, they take naps, and if they're napping, they're causing no trouble. No trouble, no fights so there's less to clean up in the cafeteria. Ah, that doesn't mean putting sleep medicine in their food though." Slowly, she was changing how things worked in the kitchen. She wanted to have nicer food but in order to do that she will need to benefit the others too. "Then, I'll be back later." She bowed politely as she went out of the kitchen. 

She's walking past other prisoners. "G-good afternoon." 

"Huh? Oh. Good afternoon. How are you, Little Miss?" Michiyo gained a new nickname from the prisoners. They call her Little Miss because of how small she was and how gentle she was. Michiyo wondered why they're a lot nicer to her. Did Mikoshiba and the others did something? They didn't look reluctant about it though.

"I'm fine. I'm heading to the textiles room." 

When the prisoners heard that, they looked a little bashful and they shyly asked if she could sew the holes on some of their clothes if it wasn't too much trouble. 

"Sure. Please bring them to me."

It wasn't just cooking. Things like sewing and cleaning too, Michiyo will volunteer doing them. She liked these small senses of achievements. It may not seem much to others and other people might see her diligence as a waste of time but Michiyo wanted to believe these small sense of achievements will bring her a good tomorrow. Always moping and crying about being in prison will not help her so she will do her best to smile.

...

"Shibaken, want to play video games?" And when she's finally done for volunteering for the day, she will spend her free time playing video games with Mikoshiba. 

"Oh, you finally show up? Do less of those pointless things, it's annoying having to wait for you to come back, dammit." 

"Hee~ you could just play single player games as you wait." 

Mikoshiba looked at her for a brief moment and he muttered something under his breath so she couldn't hear him. And when he wanted her to hear him, he made sure he's audible about it. "I've finished them all. You take too fucking long. I'll need to buy new games because of you." 

She grabbed a controller and she started to play Smash Bros with him.

"Shibaken, why is it that you can beat me in Smash Bros from time to time but you can't beat me in Street Fighter?" 

"You be quiet. I'll beat you in that one day. Just you fucking wait."

"Okay." 

"Why do you pick Zangief as your first choice anyway? Shouldn't you pick female characters?" 

"It's funny putting sense of realism back in because realistically a tank would bulldoze everyone down." 

"You have a strange sense of humor, you know that?"

"Oh? You're playing Smash Bros." Ryoga decided to come in and watch. 

"I've played this a couple of times too." Shion said with a chuckle as he came in to watch.