Chapter Seven

When we reached our border the scent of the Darkwood forest entered my nostrils. The air here was refreshing. But not as refreshing as the air by the mountains. The Wind Winter Pack was a lovely pack with a wonderful view of almost all of Clythian. I wanted to visit other packs to see what they were like, too.

When we reached the pack house, Maristela was playing outside with Jackson. I was glad to see that she recovered so quickly.

As soon as she saw me she ran straight for me. "I wondered where you had gone." She said.

I hugged her back. "It was just some pack business Alpha Zade and I had to sort out." I told her. "I'm sorry for not telling you."

"It's okay." She said. She went and hugged Zade, who looked at me speechless.

I held my laugh. Zade didn't know what to do. I wanted to tell him to hug her back through mind link.

Damn.

I had to be marked to mind link him and I wasn't officially Luna or a pack member yet.

Jackson mind linked him for me.

Zade finally hugged Maristela back. I clapped my hands softly and gave Zade a cheeky smile. I was enjoying watching the torture he was receiving. He was never good with kids.

We all entered the pack house. Jackson informed us that the five men that we sent to the Darkwood pack had arrived back safely, and with news.

They waited patiently in Zade's office.

"Ah, Cortez. What news do you have for us?" Zade asked when we entered.

Cortez briefly explained everything. "The Alpha of the Darkwood Pack is Donovan Manchow. He knows Azrael. We managed to ask him a few questions. He said that Azrael accidentally killed the Alpha and had no interest in the pack so he gave it to Donovan." Cortez said as he handed Zade a thin file. "Everything you need to know is in that file."

Zade scowled. The darkness danced across his face, reaching his eyes and intertwining with his black pupils.

"Was he friendly?" I asked, cutting through the tension.

"Very much." The guard replied.

Zade dismissed Cortez not long after a few more questions he'd asked.

"Donovan was the Beta of the pack." Zade mumbled as he read the file.

"So Azrael was friends with Donovan?" I asked.

"Seems like it."

"What about the Silver Star Pack?" I asked.

"Not sure. It's too early for us to go there. It will rise too much suspicions."

"True." I said. "But we need to do something. We need to act quickly."

"Why are we even doing this?" Zade asked.

"Because..." Because there was something worth fighting for? Because I wanted vengeance. I wanted to kill the person responsible for my parents' death. Because I didn't want Maristela to face what I faced. Because... I knew──Zade and I knew──that there was something happening. So I answered, "Because of Maristela."

"We don't even know her except her name, age and her family. What else are we supposed to do with her?"

"I've been through exactly what's she's been through only difference was that I was a baby and lived an abusive life with my aunt." I said.

Zade's throat bobbed. He knew about my past──part of it, and never bothered to do anything about it. I have no intention of visiting Sulia, anyway.