Chapter Thirteen

I didn't utter a single word to Zade or Damon the rest of the day.

Zade came knocking at the door now and then, but I didn't reply to him. I was afraid he'd hear how unsteady my voice was. I didn't want people to see me like this──weak──their luna weak and vulnerable.

He tried mind linking me, but I blocked him out.

I remained in my room for the rest of the evening.

I cried even more throughout the night. The pain was too much for me to bare. I had survived a broken heart but this... this betrayal was too much for me. I needed space. I needed air. Something I knew was only possible in the human world.

And then it hit me. The idea that lingered in my mind for days finally took hold.

I found a page and a pen in my drawer and began to write a letter for Zade.

Dear Zade, I'm sorry but I need time alone. I will be back soon.

After writing the letter, I placed it on his desk in his office while he was out.

Exiting through the front doors would be impossible due to all the guards patrolling so I decided that my window would be the best option.

My feet slammed into the ground with a thud. I prayed no one heard me while I aimed for the Darkwood forest.

Shit.

The mountain ash. Exiting through pack borders──impossible.

As I retreated back into the pack house, I heard Jackson nearby, talking to one of the guards. The voices soon descended back into the house.

Entering the pack house without getting caught──impossible.

I swore under my breath and kicked a stone that was settled beside my foot.

"Going somewhere?"

I gasped, spinning around. "Damon. Were──you following me?"

"Don't worry, I'm not taking you back to Zade." He said as he walked slowly toward me. He no longer wore the torn, muddy clothes from before. Now he wore a clean pair of black track pants and a plain black shirt.

"If you want to leave, there is a way without involving Zade." He said.

I scoffed. "There is no other way."

"There is and I'll tell you if you tell me why you're leaving."

I hesitated. "Are you sure you're not going to tell Zade."

"I swear on the Moon Stone." He said.

"But he is your alpha." I stated.

"And I am not obligated to answer to him with every bit of information I have. My kind don't belong to packs and even if we are, the alphas don't control us."

My kind. His kind──demon wolves.

I nodded. "My life is back there, Damon." I sighed. "I've met some really nice people who took me in when I first left. And Zade just pulled me away from them. I miss everyone. And I need space right now with everything's that happen..." I looked at him as my tears fell down my cheeks. "I want to go home."

"But you are home. This is your home." He said.

"It's not. My life was much better in the human world. Clythian is just not meant for me." Shaking my head, I looked away. "Damon, you have to let me go. I'll be back in a few days."

He took a deep breath in. "Whatever makes you happy." Unfolding his clenched fists, he said, "Come with me."

I followed him, then asked, "Why are you out so late?"

He didn't answer straight away, but he answered eventually, "Because I felt your panic. And then I followed your scent."

"Damn sand." I muttered to myself as the sand on the beach filled my shoes. We had walked for five minutes, but covered a lot of ground and now we were by the sea.

"Look." Damon pointed at the sea. "Your mate may have put mountain ash around the border but he didn't but it here."

"So?"

"So..." He sighed. "You can swim around it."

I stared at him. "And you know this how?"

"I was trained to analyse things. To look between lines and test things." Was his only answer.

"The current is too strong. How am I supposed to──"

Interrupting me, he said, "With that." He pointed to an old paddle boat.

My heart leaped.

A chance to go home.

"Thank you, Damon."

"No worries, Esra." He smiled. "I just want you to be happy."

I smiled back at him. "Help me push this boat."

He didn't say anything but walked toward the boat and pushed it toward the water. I jumped in as soon as it hit the water and started paddling with the paddles.

"Thank you." I whispered, hoping he'd read my lips.

I began to paddle across the water, paddling passed the waves easily. I saw the forest continueing up ahead. That was my destination. Paddling back toward the waves and finally reaching the shore not far from the portal.

I was a bit wet with the water because of the waves splashing, but I wasn't going to let that stop me.

I ran to the opening in the forest where the portal was. Finally, reaching it about five minutes later after I landed on the shore.

I inhaled deeply as I took in the smell of the forest around me. I felt like the portal was calling me. Telling me to come home.

That was exactly what I was going to do.

I closed my eyes and stepped into the portal as the hair on my neck tingled with excitement.

I was going home.