Chapter Fourteen

The cool earth breeze blew against my skin as I stepped into the human world. My home.

I felt so eased as I inhaled the intoxicating forest earth scent.

I took a moment to enjoy my surroundings. I missed this place so much.

It wasn't night here like how it was in the werewolf world. Here it was in the middle of the day and the sun shone bright above me.

I took a slow walk to Carroll and Carter's house. It was half an hour away from the clearing in the forest.

As I exited the forest and entered the hustling and bustling town, the scent of exhaust fumes and food cooking made me nauseous. It had always made me feel nauseous but I learnt to ignore the feeling after a while.

I was two blocks away from Carroll and Carter's house. Just a little further.

Finally, their big yellow house was in my sight and nothing was going to stop me from going in.

I knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer. I sensed two figures inside. Carroll and Carter.

Carroll opened the door and gasped. "Esra?" She covered her mouth and began to cry. "Oh, Esra." I reached out and hugged Carroll as tight as I could. Carter came rushing to see what all the commotion was about.

"Esra?"

"Carter." I said as I released one arm from Carroll and reached out to hug Carter.

The tears broke free and spilled down my cheeks. "I missed you guys."

"We missed you too, Esra." Carter said as he squeezed me tight.

"What about Zade?" Carroll asked as she broke from the hug. She had worry written all over her face.

"He doesn't know that I'm here." I said.

"You ran away?" Carter asked.

"Yes and no. I'm going back, don't worry. I just needed a break from things." I sighed. "I also wanted to take a few of my things."

"Your room is just the way you left it." Carroll smiled. "Come in."

I walked into the warm house that I used to call my home. Everything looked exactly like how it was.

"I made apple pie." Carroll opened the oven and out came a delicious apple pie that my mouth watered for.

"Yum. My favourite."

"Told you today was gonna be special." He winked and nudged Carroll with his elbow.

Carroll smiled and rolled her eyes at the same time. I missed how they used to play with each other like that.

That moment took me right back to Zade. Zade, Zade, Zade. The name chanted in my head. I shook it off and went to my room.

The door was fixed. I rolled my eyes and scoffed when I remembered how Zade broke it.

I sat on my cozy bed and inhaled the scent of lavender on my pillows.

I felt like I haven't been here for years yet it had only been a week or two.

I sighed and began to pack my personal things.

"Esra!" Carroll shouted from downstairs.

"I'm coming!" I yelled back. I took the backpack that I packed everything in and went downstairs.

I sat at the table at ate with the two of them. I missed eating with them. I missed eating with my family.

"So what's the latest news? I see you're marked." Carter smirked and wiggled his eyebrows.