Chapter Twenty One (Zade's POV)

Zade's POV

A month has passed and everyone was still preparing for the war that awaited for our call.

Esra still could not walk and her condition just got worse within the month. She still couldn't feel her legs and now her upper body was paralyzed as well.

It pained me to look at my mate like that everyday. I prayed and wished that she'd get better. But it just kept getting worse...

I asked the Crystal Moon Pack for help but there was nothing they could do. They had no potions or spells to help Esra get better.

I feared her time was running out...

No. It can't end like this.

I shoved that thought out of my mind. Esra was going to get better. I know she will.

Esra wanted to help prepare everyone for the war but I couldn't let her. I can't let her. It's too dangerous and anything could happen.

I fear she will change her mind and fight on the battle field. If ─ No ─ When she gets better...

"Alpha, the other Alphas request to see you." Jackson said, breaking my thoughts about my mate.

I nodded. "I'll be right there."

I was in the living room. Sitting. Thinking. I hardly slept at night as well. All this stress... Was just too much.

My brother, Donovan, was still alive. And I haven't visited my father yet. I had him put into a deep sleep a year just after Esra left... He was still taking time to wake up.

Bloody demon wolves.

My father and brother once had the idea to rule the entire land... But I stopped them before they could cause any chaos.

I woke up from the couch to attend the other Alphas.

As I stood on the other end of the door that led to the room where everyone discussed their plans, I heard several murmurs all about the same thing. Is the dire wolf Alpha's mate really dying?

As I walked in they all kept quiet.

Alpha Hayes, the Fire Moon Pack's Alpha spoke. "Alpha. Take a seat. We have new leads."

"Aye. What was all the talk about my mate?" I asked, waiting to see everyone's reaction.

"We apologize for speaking behind your back, Alpha Kratos, but everyone has been very curious about what is happening. We have never seen anything like this before." Alpha Hayes continued.

"I know. My mate will get better. I assure you. Now," I clapped my hands once. "what leads do we have?"

The Alpha of the Snow Moon Pack explained. "The wolves at the Ocean Howl Pack haven't left their land since our last encounter. It looks like they have everything they need in that small piece of land, but... "

"But?"

"There was some movement toward the Wind Winder Pack. It's like they met halfway but then they disappeared. They vanished in thin air."

I thought about this new piece of information for a moment.

"There's a secret tunnel runoured in the Enchanted Forest. It holds the power to... " I stopped dead in my words after realization hit me. "Fuck."

"What is it, Alpha Kratos?"

"There's a gem in that cave." I blurted. "The Moonstone."

"What? Those are just myths! How can it be true?" All the Alphas began to worry.

"I'm afraid it is real. And Damon led them to it." That fucking bastard went through my work.

"What are you saying, Alpha? You knew where it was?" Alpha Crystallo asked.

"Yes. My kind are the protectors of that gem. They will never break that wall of that cave in such less time. It is almost impossible." I ran my hand through my hair. "If they get it now then the war has already started."

"But they will be invincible. We will be no match for them."

"That is why we need to get to them first. Once the moon turns red then we will know that they have it." I said. "The Moonstone only works on a full moon."

"Then we have time." All the Alphas relaxed a little bit but the tension in the room remained.

"If that is all then I will be leaving now."

"One more thing, Alpha Kratos. Where will the war take place?" Alpha Kori asked.

I wasted no time answering. "The Valley of a thousand hills."

The Alpha nodded. "That is all."

The Valley of a thousand hills was the place most of the early dire wolf wars took place. The valley was within the Enchanted Forest.

I left the room and went to check on my mate.

I heard giggles on the other side of the door in her room. Maristela and the other Lunas were with her. I knocked then opened. "Esra."

"Zade." She wanted to sit up but she couldn't.

Ever since the day we had that argument ─ Which was a month ago ─ She hasn't felt too comfortable within my presence and I hated myself dearly for it.

"How are you feeling?" I asked. She looked away.

"I'm fine." She said.

"That's our queue." Mayu said. The other Lunas followed her out of the room.

Candace, the Luna of the Fire Moon Pack whispered to me. "Take it easy on her." I nodded as she left.

"This will get better, I know-"

"When will it get better?" Esra shouted. Tears streaming from her eyes. "When Zade? Because I've been getting worse and worse!"

"Esra, want me to be honest? I don't know what to do okay. I'm a bad mate, I know that. But I try to make things right but you just push me away. What else am I supposed to do?"

"I just wanted a normal life." She looked away again. "I never asked for my life to be so complicated."

My fingers curled up into fists. I took a deep breath in. "I know." I sighed, exhaling a heavy breath. "And I'm sorry. I never thought this would have happened. I never expected my life to be like this either."

Just as I wanted to sit next to her and comfort her, my mind buzzed with Jackson's voice.

'Your father is awake.'

My fists unclenched. Memories overwhelmed me.

"Esra..." I stared at her. "My father is awake. I need to see him."

She didn't say anything. Her head was still turned the other way.

'Okay.' She mind linked me.

"Okay." I exhaled. "I'll come see you right after." I walked toward her and kissed her forehead. "I love you." I whispered.

She still didn't reply. I never expected her to. I knew she needed time. And I was willing to give her that.

I left her room and made my way down to the dungeons below. The guards downstairs unlocked the barricaded mental doors.

As I walked in I heard continuous growls and chains rattling. I walked closer to the black wolf that stared at me with it's blood red eyes. He growled and snapped his teeth at me. Saliva dropped from his mouth like venom.

I scraped my claws on the wall as I walked toward him. He stepped back but still growled. He feared me.

I nodded for the guards to leave.

When they left, I retracted my claws and looked at him through the bars. "Well hello father. I'm sorry we had to meet under such unfortunate circumstances."

The wolf backed up more then shifted into the middle-aged man I've waited to see.