Chapter Twenty Three

Esra's POV

Zade thinks I don't know what's going on. He thinks I'm stuck in bed, paralyzed. He doesn't know what I had planned in mind.

At first I was paralyzed. I couldn't move my legs and the pain was unbearable. And then my arms were paralyzed as well within the month.

Doctor Mason, the new doctor, has been giving me medication to help the pain. But I was much smarter than him.

Ever since I took that specific medication everything started to get worse. For a week, I faked taking my medication and at the end of the week I could move. I was no longer paralyzed.

When Zade came to visit me earlier, I couldn't stand lying to him. As much as I hated him the guilt clung onto me. I tried not to make eye contact with him. But I couldn't stop the tears from flowing down my pale cheeks.

I ran away the minute he went to see his father. I escaped through the window in the bathroom which happened to have no burglar guards. I managed to escape from the pack house but there seemed to be no way to escape the land. The mountain ash was everywhere.

I didn't have time to get stalled. I knew Zade would come looking for me the minute he found out I was gone.

I knew I was the key to getting the Moonstone. And I'm sure they are in possession of it as well. And I know that I was going to die as the Moonstone drew power from me on the full moon tonight.

Zade and the other Alphas were not aware of the full moon tonight. The full moon was expected in a week. This wasn't an ordinary full moon.

It was the blood moon.

In the werewolf world, the blood moon occurred a week early in the autumn season.

I needed to run. Run far away and hide. That was all I could do until the mountain ash decayed in a day or two. Maybe three.

Could I even wait that long?

Besides that, Zade needed to know that Doctor Mason wasn't on our side. Was Mason even a doctor?

I heard distant howls not too far away. They have already begun searching for me. I needed a safe place to hide and rest for the night. But where? They could track my scent easily.

Wait.

Zade blocked everywhere around the border including the beach, but the waterfall... I could climb up onto the rocks and go pass the barrier.

A smile grew on my face as I exhaled.

The howls and growls got louder. I sprinted for the waterfall.

As the waterfall came into view, I heard leaves shuffling, twigs snapping, tree trunks getting hit. They were coming.

I quickly started climbing the rocky edge of the waterfall. My arms and thighs began to burn as I climbed up. I've been stuck in bed for so long that I ─ despite the werewolf heightened abilities ─ was tired and exhausted.

My legs slipped on one of the rocks which went tumbling down and into the water. I clung onto the rocks tighter as I climbed the rest.

I finally reached the top, I was out of breath and sweat dripped from every part of my body.

I heard growls, then I heard a man speak from below.

"Find my mate. I will not rest until I find her. She can't be far. There's no escape."

That's where you're wrong Zade.

I rested my back on the floor and caught my breath.

"Esra?"