Chapter Twenty

Two days passed. Two miserable days of doing nothing.

I was stuck in bed. My legs felt like they were paralyzed. My body hadn't fully recovered from the wolfsbane.

I wanted to help Zade with so many things but he wouldn't budge.

He always mind linked to check on me and he visited me as often as he could.

I stared at the ceiling as I thought about Damon. That traitor. He couldn't escape the chains Zade attached him to, but someone released him and he fled.

That bastard.

My blood boiled at the thought of how he spoke to me like he cared. It was all faked. It wasn't true.

He's a demon wolf. He'd never choose good. No demon wolf would.

But what was I supposed to do about Zade? His brother...

How could Zade...lie to me?

I decided to speak to him when he comes here again. I had to get this issue off my chest. It was still so hard to take in. Zade had a brother...

A brother he never told me about...Neither did his father mention...

My blood boiled even more. I took deep breaths to calm myself down.

Just as I took a sip of water that was left on the side table for me, Zade walked in.

"Hey, how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine. I still can't feel my legs though."

"It'll be alright soon." He assured me.

"Zade... Who is Donovan Manchow personally?" I asked, warily.

"The Alpha of the Darkwood Pack. Why?"

"Personally." I repeated.

"Esra, I wouldn't know him. What's going on?" He pulled the chair from the other side of the room and put it beside the bed. He sat down and held my hand.

"Frederic..." I choked on the word. "He said... Donovan is your brother..."

Zade's face went pale. His expression darkened. He got up from the chair, but the chair fell back with the impact. Zade took the chair and flung it across the room.

"Zade!" He stared at me with his claws out, fangs out and eyes blood red.

"Donovan is nothing but a fucking bastard! My father is a bastard!"

"Zade! Calm down. Talk to me." I tried to move my legs but I still couldn't feel anything. Zade saw my struggle and his eyes turned back to their normal colour. His fangs and claws retracted.

He came closer to me and held me tight in his arms. "I'm sorry." He whispered. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have done that." He kissed my head and took in the scent of my hair.

"Zade, what's going on?" I held him back. I ran my fingers through his hair.

"I don't know." He muttered in my hair. "I don't fucking know anymore." His voice almost broke.

"Zade, talk to me."

"My father isn't dead. He's in the dungeons below." He mumbled in my hair again.

"What? Why?"

"Because he's a demon wolf. And so is Donovan. They're demon dire wolves. The most powerful demon wolves. My father told me Donovan was dead, but he fucking lied."

I struggled to grasp all the information. His father wasn't dead. He was alive and in the dungeons. His father and brother are demon wolves.

My head spun with the new details.

"I don't want you to stress, Esra. I'll handle everything." He got up to leave.

"No, Zade. Wait!" He turned around. "Zade, I'm not fragile. You have to let me help you. I'm the Luna. This is my pack too!"

"I can't risk you getting hurt. This is not your duty. This is not your job. I can't let you get hurt or die. Esra, I can't live without you. I just got you, I'm not going to lose you." His hand was on the door handle and he twisted it open.

"No, Zade, wait. Zade, wait." I cried.

"I'm sorry, Esra. It hurts me to leave you like this. But I just can't let you risk your life."

"I'm not risking my life. I just want to help." I protested. "Why don't you just let me help!"

"Because I love you, Esra!" He screamed. "I love you. I won't let you get between everything. I can't let you help. You will end up getting hurt. Think about Maristela."

"Oh, so now you care about Maristela? Now you acknowledge her as your own? Because you can't have a pup with me? Because you know someone is going to die?" My blood boiled ten times more than before.

Zade remained silent. "I can't let you get hurt." He sighed.

"Be honest with me Zade."

"Yes, Esra. Someone is going to die. Many are going to die. Because this is a war. People are bound to die in war. You think I can just sit and pretend like it's okay? It's not Esra, and I can't risk your life."

I remained silent. "You know you can't have pups with me." A tear rolled down my cheek. "You know you're not going to make it."

"I'm leading the war. I'm the dire wolf. I'm the pureblood. Every single wolf bows down to me or those damn Greys. These wolves here worship me. I will die trying to protect everyone including you." His eyes turned crimson.

"I've never met someone as selfish as you. I. Don't. Need. Protection."

"So I'm the selfish one now?" He barked. "Don't act like you're not."

"Maybe I am selfish. But I'm not as selfish as you!" I shouted.

"Why can't you just stop being independent for once in your life?" Zade groaned. "I am your mate. Your Alpha. You listen to me and I say that I need to protect you."

"Just get out." I turned my head and mumbled.

"I-"

"Get out!" I screamed.

Zade shut his mouth. He scowled and banged the door as he left.

I hate when he does that. I hate when he's over protective or over possessive. I'm not an object that he can just possess.

He pissed me off even more. Zade was still Zade. Still that coward from all those years ago. Nothing gets passed him and nothing can change his mind once he's made a decision.

I wiped my tears with the back of my hand. I felt so helpless. I couldn't feel my legs. I couldn't walk. The doctor said I'd get well and walk again soon but when?

My wolf inside me whined. She was hurt. Hurt by two things.

The fact that she couldn't walk or shift.

And the fact that Zade hurt us.

Zade should have respected our decision. I just wanted to help. I didn't say I was going to run in the middle of the battle field. I just wanted to help them prepare.

I wanted revenge as much as everyone else. I wanted Azrael and his clan to suffer. I wanted Damon to suffer especially.

And I was going to get my way, with or without Zade.