Chapter 2 - Reincarnation

I responded to Betty's question with a question. In the process of reincarnation, I lacked the necessary information for to make that choice.

"What is the other world like? Also, is it possible to be reborn in a country other than Japan?"

Betty began explaining, nodding in understanding at the natural curiosity.

"In the case of another world, you are reincarnated with your past life's memories intact. Currently, the other world is in the midst of a fierce battle between humanity and the Demon King's army. When reincarnating into another world, the goddess grants cheat abilities according to your wishes, a common pattern in light novels. Well, if someone from this world were to go to the other world without cheats, they would either be killed by the Demon King's army within a day or become prey to monsters. On the other hand, those reincarnated with cheats from the goddess are treated exceptionally well in the other world, serving as humanity's trump card against the Demon King's army. You would also receive special treatment from the royal family. On the contrary, if you are reborn in this world, you won't retain memories from your past life. Additionally, which country you're born in or under what kind of parents is left to chance. Whether you are born to doting wealthy parents or to parents capable of child abuse, even I, the goddess, cannot predict."

Faced with Betty's presented choices, I immediately made a decision.

"Isekai, it is!"

Rather than spending my life cramming for exams, causing havoc against the Demon King's army with cheats from the goddess seemed more interesting. Moreover, if reincarnated people are well-treated due to their abilities, I might manage with at least one companion, even if a harem is impossible. Without any hesitation, I gave my answer, surprising Betty.

"In the other world, there won't be your favorite battleships or aircraft carriers, Jun. Is that okay? Also, the Demon King's army is quite strong."

"It's fine. It's a good opportunity to break free from the world of warship enthusiasts. Besides, with the tactical and strategic insights I gained from war novels in my past life, I think I'll be quite useful in the other world."

Smiling at my confident response, Betty projected a screen-like object in front of us.

"This is the Cheat Item Collection Catalog granted by the goddess. Choose your favorite magic sword or spear from here. Also, if you prefer magic over weapons, decide whether to specialize or go for versatility. Specialized magic has exceptional power but can only use a few types, while versatile magic can handle multiple types but with limited power for each."

"I'll go for versatile magic. But, one thing, can magic levels be improved through experience and accumulation?"

"Yes, it's possible. Leveling up increases the types, power, and quantity of magic you can use."

"Okay, versatile type it is then. Well, for the time being, I'll defeat weaker monsters to level up. If I encounter stronger foes, I'll resort to a strategic retreat. I won't do anything foolish like challenging powerful opponents head-on."

As I confidently declared my plan to bully the weak, Betty chuckled and began chanting the reincarnation spell. Despite some lingering doubts and unease from the inadequate explanation or her previous actions of digging into my porn stash, I watched her with anticipation. As if sensing my inner thoughts, Betty opened her mouth with a smile.

"My reincarnation success rate is 99,9%. It's not much different from the 99,999% of other goddesses. So, rest assured, Jun."

Betty seemed to have raised a flag she shouldn't have. At that moment, I couldn't shake the feeling of falling into the 1%.