Chapter 42 - Keystone of a Carrier

The second attack group consisted of 9 Zeros, 18 D3As, and 12 B5Ns each from Akagi, Kaga, Shōkaku, and Zuikaku. From Hiryū, Sōryū, Jun'yō, and Hiyō, there were 9 Zeros, 9 D3As, and 12 B5Ns each, bringing a total of 276 planes.

While this force seemed sufficient to sink the four American carriers, the commander of the second attack squadron, Commander Fuchida, had no choice but to abandon the attack. Information from the D4Ys operating near the enemy fleet revealed that nearly two hundred interceptor planes were heading towards them.

Unbeknownst to Fuchida, during the first wave of the attack, the 72 Zeros engaged in combat with 144 F4F that had intercepted them. The Zeros, turning the tide in their favor by initially disrupting the enemy formation, went on a rampage, shooting down 37 F4Fs and rendering 58 others unable to continue the fight. However, the surviving 49 F4Fs and a new wave of 135 SBDs launched from the four remaining American carriers stood in the way of Fuchida and the second attack group.

"All planes, jettison your bombs and torpedoes. Then, execute a reversal and return. Fighters, continue advancing and eliminate the enemy interceptors," commanded Fuchida, suppressing his frustration and delivering the order in a flat tone.

A few moments later, the 108 bombs and 96 torpedoes, which were supposed to strike the American carriers and their escorts, were disappointingly dropped into the waters of Midway. Simultaneously, the efforts of the maintenance crews and weapons personnel, endured until now, became futile. Meanwhile, the Zero fighter squadron increased its speed and altitude, advancing towards the eastern sky. Ironically, to Fuchida, their appearance seemed akin to a sheepdog rejoicing after being released from the troublesome duty of guarding sheep.

. . .

"The second attack group has encountered enemy interceptors and broken off the attack to return to the carriers."

Upon receiving the regretful report from Commander Fuchida, the commander of the second attack group, the ten carriers of the Third Fleet had a total of 180 Zeros, organized into two squadrons for each carrier, with half of them on high-altitude patrol and the remaining half on the flight deck in a state of immediate readiness.

"We no longer need to consider the possibility of enemy air raids. Immediately launch the fighters on the flight deck. Task them with sweeping the enemy interceptors as the third attack group. Also, leave one squad in the air for the fighters at altitude immediately after the third attack group launches. They will serve as escorts for the returning dive bombers and torpedo bombers."

Despite the forced withdrawal of the second attack group due to the overwhelming number of enemy interceptors, Vice Admiral Ozawa, who succeeded Vice Admiral Nagumo as the commander-in-chief of the Third Fleet, remained calm. During the handover with Nagumo, a man named Jun, claiming to be a divine servant, had forewarned him of this likely scenario.

"If we annihilate the enemy surface strike force and successfully conduct naval gunfire against Midway base and its airfields, the enemy carrier strike force is likely to mimic the tactics employed by the 1st Air Fleet in the previous battle of Midway. Therefore, refrain from launching dive bombers and torpedo bombers in a frontal assault until the enemy interceptor aircraft are completely defeated. Forcing an attack prematurely will result in irreparable losses."

Jun, claiming to be a divine servant, had earned immense trust from Ozawa and garnered respect from Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, the commander-in-chief of the Combined Fleet. While Ozawa was not entirely convinced of Jun's words, he considered them as advisory opinions, given the circumstances. However, considering the current situation, it is impossible not to admit that his idea or prophecy was correct.

The American carrier strike force was fully committed to defense, but their plans had little time left. The 72 Zero fighters of the second attack group, soon to engage the enemy, along with the additional 90 Zeros launching shortly, were expected to destroy most of the enemy. The combined forces of the first and second waves, along with the upcoming Zero fighters, totaled 234 planes. Ozawa, a seasoned proponent of aviation in the Imperial Japanese Navy, had realized something anew today.

"The main role of aircraft carriers is not played by bombers capable of precision bombing or formidable torpedo bombers."

When he assumed command of the Third Fleet, Ozawa felt uneasy about the fact that nearly 60% percent of the carrier-based aircraft were fighters. He had thought the ratio was excessively high in favor of air defense, neglecting the importance of anti-ship strike capabilities. However, he was proven wrong. Despite possessing 324 Zeros in the Third Fleet, the current situation did not allow for an excess of fighter aircraft. Even against just four enemy carriers, the Third Fleet found itself in a situation where most of its fighter strength needed to be deployed to mitigate the damage from enemy dive bombers and torpedo bombers.

Despite the favorable situation, a vague sense of unease crept over Vice Admiral Ozawa. Looking ahead, especially considering the continuous commissioning of new American carriers starting next year, he pondered the question of how the Imperial Navy should face future battles. However, before contemplating those answers, Ozawa shifted his focus to the immediate battle in front of him. They were currently in the midst of exchanging lives with the enemy.