Chapter 77 - Absolute Dominance

The telegraph "Tora, Tora, Tora," which has become familiar to each ship of the 1st Mobile Fleet, was transmitted from the Saiun on which Jun was on.

"We took them by surprise."

In other words, the Essex and Independence class aircraft carriers of the US mobile fleet have all suffered damage rendering them unable to launch, courtesy of Jun. Jun, who boldly infiltrated the enemy mobile fleet alone with reconnaissance aircraft, has accomplished an outstanding feat. Vice Admiral Ozawa of the 1st Mobile Fleet has no intention of wasting such dedication.

"Launch the first attack group. Subsequently, dispatch the second attack unit as quickly as possible. Strike the enemy fleet that has invaded the Marianas!"

Under Ozawa's orders, the first attack group consisting of 240 Zero fighters from the Shōkaku, Zuikaku, and Kaga, divided into two squadrons each from these three carriers, as well as one squadron from each of the other 14 carriers, took off one after another from the flight decks. The assigned mission for the first attack unit is combat air patrol, equivalent to what is known as a fighter sweep in the West. Behind the American mobile fleet, there is an escort carrier group, and since the mother carriers are unharmed, they are expected to undoubtedly counterattack with remaining fighter planes. Considering an estimated 150 to 200 remaining F6Fs, even the latest Model 54 fighters needed to exert equal or superior firepower.

After the first attack group had launched, Zeros and Tenzan for the second attack group were raised one after another on the flight deck via elevators. The second attack group consisted of 132 Zeros and 234 Tenzan, totaling 366 aircraft. Unlike the first attack group, Zeros are equipped with 250 kg bombs and the Tenzan with Type 91 aerial torpedoes. The Zeros were equipped with the 250 kg bombs because they had to take off from the narrow flight deck of the carrier, but 500 kg bombs could have been equipped at a land base where a longer runway could be taken. Within the second attack group, Force A targets the northern carrier group, Force B focuses on the southern carrier group, while Forces C and D jointly attack the central carrier group. Deploying a massive air force of over 600 aircraft combined between the first and second attack groups, Ozawa also ordered the surface strike force to pursue the enemy fleet.

"First and Second Fleets, find and annihilate the enemy surface strike force. Be cautious of the torpedo bombers aboard the enemy escort carriers. Currently, 20 escort carriers have been identified, and they likely carry at least 120 to a maximum of 180 torpedo bombers. To protect the airspace above the First and Second Fleets, we will dispatch fighters from the Third Fleet, but be thorough."

Although the 204 Zeros assigned to the direct air cover mission are part of a squadron from each carrier, there is still some concern about the number being slightly insufficient to protect both the carrier task force and the surface strike force. In addition, they must be vigilant in both anti-ship and anti-air combat, as instructed. Furthermore, strict anti-submarine surveillance is ordered. This was a request from Jun himself, and for some unknown reason, he was unusually persistent about this matter.

After issuing this series of orders, Ozawa settled back as if nothing happened. However, internally, he was dripping with cold sweat. Thanks to Jun's successful surprise attack, things are going well. However, if the American mobile fleet was still intact and engaged in a pitched battle with the Third Fleet, their own carriers might have lost at least a third, and possibly more than half. The combined air power of the American mobile fleet and the escort carrier force was overwhelmingly formidable.

"As Nagumo-san said, Jun-san is truly amazing."

Not to say "die ten thousand deaths," but taking on a mission with a narrow chance of survival, Jun achieved the best results. Ozawa offered his utmost gratitude in his heart.