Chapter 60 - Defense Capability

The Japanese fleet that arrived at Midway had already been spotted by reconnaissance planes, especially the surface strike force. This powerful fleet included two super-sized battleships, Yamato and Musashi. While the mobile force has not been located yet, it is undoubtedly positioned behind the surface strike force. However, they were still beyond the Midway base air unit's reach, and only the long-range B-24 heavy bombers had the capability to launch attacks.

"They plan to repeat the strategy of the Second Battle of Midway, using the surface strike force to bombard Midway base's aircraft, equalize the forces, and then engage in a decisive battle between the mobile forces. But we won't let them have their way so easily."

Admiral Halsey, in charge of the Third Fleet, looked over the compiled list of forces gathered for the defense of Midway, contemplating the upcoming battle. The defense force at Midway consists solely of American military assets, except for one exception—a squadron of night fighters consisting of 12 British-made Beaufighters that traveled a long way from the UK.

In this battle, the US military is most wary of a devilish entity named "Jun." The Pacific Fleet suffered a major blow from the white and red flares fired by Jun, and the Eastern Fleet faced similar challenges. Jun is known to usually appear at night riding a biplane, launching accurate attacks that neutralize battleship targeting systems.

Therefore, the priority is to eliminate this Jun, and the vanguard for this task is the Beaufighters. In the clash between the Japanese surface strike force attempting to approach Midway at night for naval bombardment and the friendly fleet defending the island, the Beaufighters are expected to appear on biplanes to destroy the targeting systems of friendly battleships. That's why the Beaufighters will strike first. They can approach without the enemy noticing, using the advantage of radio silence, and take down Jun and the feeble biplanes with a single blow. These 12 Beaufighters are rotating in pairs above the two friendly battleship groups. Ideally, they would want more, but due to the limitations of Midway's airfield capacity, this number is the maximum possible.

"While relying on the high-and-mighty Limeys is irritating, the skills of those who have triumphed in the fierce battles of Europe are genuine. If we can kill this Jun, the friendly battleship group with their superior power will surely defeat the Japanese surface strike force. And as long as Midway base's air power is intact, there's no element for us to lose."

With this in mind, Halsey once again looked down at the document handed to him by the staff. Noting the deployment of state-of-the-art aircraft like the F6F and SB2C, he realized the courage that overwhelmed him. The forces gathered for the defense of Midway are more than enough to make Halsey feel overwhelmingly confident.

Third Fleet

- First Group

-- Essex (36 × F6Fs, 36 × SB2Cs, 24 × TBFs)

-- Lexington (36 × F6Fs, 36 × SB2Cs, 24 × TBFs)

-- Independence (24 × F6Fs, 9 × TBFs)

-- Princeton (24 × F6Fs, 9 × TBFs)

-- 2 light cruisers, 12 destroyers

- Second Group

-- Saratoga (36 × F6Fs, 36 × SB2Cs, 24 × TBFs)

-- Wasp (36 × F6Fs, 36 × SB2Cs, 24 × TBFs)

-- Belleau Wood (24 × F6Fs, 9 × TBFs)

-- Cowpens (24 × F6Fs, 9 × TBFs)

-- 2 light cruisers, 12 destroyers

- Third Group

-- Battleships New Jersey, Iowa, Massachusetts, Alabama

-- 4 light cruisers, 16 destroyers

- Fourth Group

-- Battleships Colorado, New Mexico, Mississippi, Idaho, Pennsylvania, Nevada

-- 4 heavy cruisers, 16 destroyers

Midway Base Air Force

- 48 × F4Us

- 48 × P-38s

- 36 × B-26s

- 48 × B-24s

- 36 × PBYs

- 12 × Beaufighters (British)

- Other liaison and transport aircraft