Chapter 28 - Second Attack Group

Commander Fuchida, who led the second attack group, felt relieved that there were no interceptors in sight, as he had anticipated. Unlike the first attack group, which consisted solely of fighter planes, the second attack group had a typical formation of fighters and attackers. It consisted of 117 planes, including six Zeros, 18 D3As, and 15 B5Ns each from the carriers Shōkaku, Zuikaku, and Kaga. All the dive bombers carried the 250 kg bombs, and the torpedo bombers were equipped with the Type 91 aerial torpedoes. The two American carrier units that had been discovered were in contact with multiple E13As, so there was no danger of missing them.

Above all, the absence of interceptors, which he had feared, was likely due to the excellent job done by the first attack group. According to the incoming transmission, the first attack group engaged approximately 70 to 80 enemy fighters, virtually annihilating them. Given the number of interceptors, the enemy likely had at least three carriers. Therefore, the plan was to sink three American carriers perfectly, but unfortunately, the weather conditions were unfavorable. There were dense clouds with scattered squalls forming. Presumably, the third carrier was hidden within these conditions, making it difficult to locate.

Fuchida's orders were for the Zuikaku and Kaga squadrons to strike the already discovered carriers, while the Shōkaku squadron would search the area for a while. If the third carrier wasn't found, they were to attack the two discovered carriers. However, depending on the situation, they were told they could ignore the search order for the third carrier and prioritize on-site decisions. In other words, prioritizing situational judgment was emphasized. Fuchida concluded that the search for the third carrier was challenging. Flying into those squalls would lead to getting lost, and there was even a risk of mid-air collisions. They should not have taken unnecessary risks.

"Zuikaku squadron and Shōkaku second squadron, aim for the front, Kaga squadron and Shōkaku first squadron, aim for the rear. After the bomber squadrons hit the escort ships, the torpedo squadrons will dive in and swiftly annihilate the enemy carriers. All planes, commence the attack!"

Following Fuchida's command, the 117 aircraft in the attack squadron split into multiple groups. 54 dive bombers were divided into two groups of 27, with each small unit dispersing and targeting cruisers and destroyers surrounding the enemy carriers. Meanwhile, 21 of the torpedo bombers from the Zuikaku squadron and Shōkaku second squadron went towards the front, while 24 from the Kaga squadron and Shōkaku first squadron descended toward the rear carriers, creating a pincer movement. During this time, the 18 Zeros split into small units, each patrolling the surrounding airspace in preparation for any appearance of enemy fighters.

The first to launch an attack were the dive bombers. In contrast to previous tactics, they now operated in groups of three to conduct simultaneous bombings. The reason behind this simultaneous attack was to disperse the dense anti-aircraft fire unleashed by the American ships.

In the traditional method of sequential bombings, one plane at a time, subsequent aircraft could use the preceding one's bombing as a reference, thereby increasing accuracy. However, on the flip side, the enemy could anticipate the flight path of subsequent aircraft, leading to inevitable increased casualties. In choosing between minimizing casualties and maximizing results, the traditional Imperial Navy approach would undoubtedly favor the latter. However, Fuchida had heard that, after the Battle of the Coral Sea, where a large number of crew members lost their lives, and with the assertion of simultaneous bombings by a being named Jun, the decision was made to conduct bombings by squadrons.

Fuchida now understood that this decision was correct. The intensity of the barrage launched from the escort ships was extraordinary. Both cruisers and destroyers surpassed those of the Imperial Navy in terms of firepower. Perhaps the main guns of the American destroyers were high-angle or dual-purpose guns. While the descending D3As didn't show signs of hesitation, one by one, they became entangled in enemy fire. It wouldn't be surprising if one in five, or in the worst case, one in four or three, was shot down. So many dive bombers, leaving trails of smoke, were being drawn into the Coral Sea, as Fuchida thought.

On the other side, the D3As were not just being shot down. Each squadron's dropped bombs were capturing at least one enemy ship. The 250 kg bomb, considered insufficient against capital ships, demonstrated significant effectiveness against lightly armored cruisers and defenseless destroyers. Cruisers visibly weakened their anti-aircraft fire, and destroyers spewed smoke, causing a decline in speed.

"Next is our turn."

The Zeros, having annihilated enemy fighters, and the dive bombers, dealing a heavy blow to the escort ships, both performed flawlessly. In response to their achievements, Fuchida along with his eight wingmen broke through the defensive formation. Their target was solely the carrier in the center. Likewise, the Kaga squadron should be closing in from the opposite side. The enemy carrier began to turn, brandishing its anti-aircraft fire. Even at this point, it hadn't given up on survival.

However, being targeted by 24 torpedo bombers, there was no way for the American carrier to escape. Having approached closely and with the anti-aircraft fire from the escort ships diminishing, the details of the enemy carrier became apparent. A massive funnel towering just behind the bridge.

"It's the Saratoga!"

Once part of the world's Big Four alongside Akagi, Kaga, and the sunken Lexington from the Battle of the Coral Sea, the Saratoga was a formidable presence. Fuchida realized his own excitement at identifying the enemy carrier. Simultaneously, bullets spewed from the enemy carrier. Since they were fired from the turning carrier, the accuracy wasn't particularly high. Nonetheless, one aircraft was hit before dropping its torpedo, and another was shot down during the evasive maneuver after dropping its torpedo. However, that was the limit for the Saratoga.

Darting into a net of over twenty torpedoes, the Saratoga, despite desperate evasion maneuvers, managed to dodge more than half but eventually succumbed to eight torpedoes, bringing it to a complete halt. There was no prospect of survival.