Chapter 10 - Start of the Interception

Enemy torpedo bombers that would intrude from the low-altitude area were exclusively dealt with by the D3As, while Zero fighters, which did not participate in the first attack group, were assigned to handle other enemy planes such as the escorting fighters. The formidable Yorktown fighter squadron, namely Thach's unit, is intended to be countered by the Akagi fighter squadron, led directly by Lieutenant Commander Itaya himself. However, whether they can successfully engage the enemy depends largely on luck. As for me, I boarded the rear seat of a D4Y experimental dive bomber, which was brought here from the Sōryū. Leading the attack were the Hiryū and Sōryū, along with the Zero fighters from the Kaga, attempting to defeat the enemy unit that planned to destroy the 1st Air Fleet, consisting of the Yorktown and Enterprise bomber squadrons.

The approaching Yorktown squadron has just under 20 planes, while the Enterprise squadron, rising from the south, has about 30 planes, posing a higher threat level, especially from the Enterprise bomber squadron. In historical records, the Enterprise squadron delivered a fatal blow to both the Akagi and the Kaga. Therefore, the Enterprise squadron must be the first to be eliminated.

The Zero fighters that participated in the first attack, led by me, were initially 36 in number. However, due to Lieutenant Commander Itaya's Akagi squadron being diverted to respond to Thach's unit and the loss or damage of aircraft in aerial combat over Midway Atoll, the current number has been reduced to just over 20. Through sensing magic, I had already known the positions, courses, and altitudes of the Enterprise and Yorktown squadrons. I instructed the pilot in the front seat to orient the nose of the aircraft toward the direction from which the Enterprise squadron was advancing. Then, I signaled the release of fireballs in that direction.

In response, the Zero fighters of the Hiryū and Sōryū accelerated, overtaking the D3As, and aggressively engaged the yet-unseen Enterprise squadron. Although the Enterprise squadron had twice the number of dive bombers, considering the performance of the Zero fighters against the SBD Dauntless and the skill of the pilots, there should be no concern about failing to prevent them.

Convinced that the engagement between the Hiryū and Sōryū squadrons against the Enterprise squadron was inevitable, I immediately asked the pilot to turn the nose of the D4Y northeast. Seven Zero fighters, including myself and the Kaga squadron, were responsible for the Yorktown bomber squadron led by Lieutenant Commander Max Leslie. In the Battle of Midway, the Yorktown bomber squadron, in historical records, sank the Sōryū, making it a distinguished bomber squadron from the American perspective. If we overlook this bomber squadron, there is a high probability that the Sōryū, with vulnerabilities in its defense, will suffer a fatal blow, regardless of whether there are aircraft with bombs in the hangar, as in historical records.

"To the temporary direction, maintain the current altitude. Also, please hurry."

To ensure a clear transmission of my intentions, I used magic to directly instruct the pilot on the course and altitude. The pilot seemed somewhat surprised but, perhaps because I had been informed in advance that I was a servant of the Gods, did not show much sign of disturbance.

"Understood, accelerating!"

After a momentary pause from the pilot's words, the D4Y began to accelerate. Full throttle in an unprecedented battlefield for a prototype. Still, without throwing a tantrum, the experimental dive bomber cut through the wind to soar through the skies of Midway to capture the Yorktown squadron. The Kaga squadron was also in pursuit without delay.

This is the climax of the Battle of Midway; this is the moment of truth.