Chapter 37 - Oxygen Torpedo

Sixteen destroyers were urgently approaching from this direction, a sight visible from the bridge of the Yamato. Despite the nighttime conditions, it was possible thanks to the luminescent bullets released by Jun the divine servant. Furthermore, he continued to send valuable information from above the American fleet without considering the danger. While expressing his utmost gratitude in his heart to Jun, Vice Admiral Nagumo issued orders.

"All cruisers and destroyers, launch torpedoes toward the nose of the enemy destroyers. Spare no torpedoes. Fire all loaded in the launch tubes. After firing, begin reloading for the next shot immediately."

Following his orders, torpedoes were launched one after another from cruisers and destroyers that had already prepared. A total of 182 oxygen torpedoes, 54 from eight cruisers and 128 from sixteen destroyers, advanced towards the expected course of the American destroyers. With more than 10 torpedoes per ship, it was a generous act against small targets like destroyers. All the fuses on these oxygen torpedoes were in the default state, strictly forbidden from being made sensitive, as per Vice Admiral Nagumo's direct order. This was done at the request of Jun.

"The torpedoes of the Imperial Navy are likely to explode before hitting the enemy ship if the fuses are made sensitive. So, could you please stop doing that?"

Even during the Southern Operations, there were reports of multiple premature explosions of Imperial Navy torpedoes. However, since it was a request from Jun, whom he trusted above all, Nagumo readily accepted it. In addition to eliminating the threat of the American destroyers by freely launching torpedoes, the Vice Admiral's main objective was to reduce the damage caused by the detonation of torpedoes.

Many Japanese cruisers and destroyers had spare torpedo storage tubes along with the launch tubes on board. In other words, the vital parts subject to fatal damage in case of a hit were significant. By reducing these parts in advance, the goal was to decrease the probability of damage from hits. This, too, was a proposal from Jun. In the Second Battle of the Coral Sea, Mikuma was sunk. Although she suffered only minor damage from the Americans, she was hit in a vital spot amidships where the torpedo tubes and reloading gear were concentrated, and the resulting detonation of an oxygen torpedo was fatal, sending her to the bottom of the sea.

"Oxygen torpedoes are a double-edged sword. While their effect is tremendous when they hit the enemy, if they explode while still on board, the damage is enormous. At least for ships with a reloading mechanism, even if the accuracy is poor, the first shot should be taken from a distance. If you spare torpedoes, there is a high probability of repeating the same tragedy as the Mikuma. And by firing the first shot from a distance, it means there is sufficient reaction time until the next reload, so the spare torpedoes won't go to waste."

Jun explained the pros and cons of oxygen torpedoes in this way. The Vice Admiral might not have considered Jun's words, given his overly cautious nature, a little while ago. However, the tragedy of the sinking of the Mikuma in the Second Battle of the Second Coral Sea was more than enough sacrifice to change his mindset.

While Vice Admiral Nagumo was contemplating these things, the words "It's time" reached his ears. Peering through binoculars, the Vice Admiral saw small lights appearing one by one on the sea surface diagonally ahead. In the end, only five hit their targets. With 182 torpedoes launched, the hit rate was less than three percent.

A dismal result that tarnished the reputation of "Nagumo of the Torpedoes."

However, from the American side, they had just lost over thirty percent of their destroyers in this one attack. Their destroyer formation was in disarray. It was a chance to crush them all at once.

"7th Cruiser Division and the torpedo units, eliminate the remaining enemy destroyers. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th Divisions, strike the enemy cruisers. The enemy battleships will be handled by the 1st Battleship Division."

Vice Admiral Nagumo's orders prompted each ship of the Second Fleet to charge towards their assigned targets. The Yamato, accompanied by the Nagato and Mutsu, also turned its bow towards the enemy battleship formation and accelerated. In terms of numbers, it was three against four, and the 1st Battleship Division was at a disadvantage. Moreover, all American battleships were equipped with the latest models, while only the Yamato on the Japanese side was a new type. In normal circumstances, it would be a hopeless difference in firepower. Yet, Vice Admiral Nagumo's expression was filled with confidence in victory.