Chapter 36 - Night Battle of Midway

Just before the Second Fleet made contact with the enemy surface strike force, I moved to the rear of the Yamato with the guidance of a subordinate, settling into the rear seat of an F1M spotter seaplane. Shortly thereafter, the F1M carrying me catapulted off, soaring into the night sky over Midway.

With the Yamato's onboard plane unit piloted by the most skilled hands, I activated long-distance vision and night vision magic, overseeing the combined American and Japanese fleets from the rear seat of the F1M in the dark night sky. In preparation for the night-time artillery and torpedo battle, onboard planes were launching one after another from other battleships and heavy cruisers of the Second Fleet, filling the airspace over the nearby sea area with the sound of engines. The launch of planes not only served for impact observation or sending valuable information to allies from above but also played a significant role in avoiding damage during artillery battles and, above all, removing flammable materials.

To put it bluntly, it was a kind of troublesome task, but in such a situation, the usefulness of the F1M would only last for another two years or so. By 1944, radar-equipped aircraft like the night-fighting F6F Hellcat or the P-61 Black Widow would appear. With its slow speed, weak armament, poor defense, and lack of electronic eyes, the F1M would be no match for them.

However, I dispelled such trivial thoughts for now and reconfirmed the formation of the American fleet. The American fleet formation consisted of four battleships and six cruisers in the center, with an additional sixteen destroyers in the vanguard. All cruisers were large, likely heavy cruisers, such as the Brooklyn-class light cruiser or the Cleveland-class light cruiser. The aim of the American fleet might be to disrupt the Second Fleet from the side by sending destroyer units while battleships and cruisers provided supporting artillery fire. They did not necessarily have to annihilate the Japanese fleet. If they could interfere with the naval gunfire against Midway Atoll, the base air force on the island would take care of the rest once daylight came. Time favored the American side. That's why a preemptive strike was essential.

"Senkōdan (Flash Bullet)!"

I released a massive burst of light towards the sky above the American fleet. I actually wanted to shout some pseudo-English like Flashasomething, but in this day and age, it was probably safer not to use English. The flash bomb I released glittered brilliantly in the sky above the American fleet, exerting its effect without descending. The original flash bomb was magic devised by people from another world to counter dark attribute monsters that hated light. The light I emitted wasn't as bright as the sun during the day, but it was much brighter than moonlight.

The movement of the American fleet upon seeing it was swift. To escape from the suddenly appearing unknown light, they increased their speed and turned their bows towards the Second Fleet. Judging that it would be disadvantageous to expose themselves unilaterally, they may have changed their initial plan and switched to an early decisive battle.

"Enemy fleet turning, destroyers at the forefront increasing speed and heading in our direction!" I shouted into the radio, conveying the movements of the American fleet to the Yamato.

Of course, I knew that other carrier planes were reporting the same, but I couldn't help but inform them myself.