Chapter 83 - Suddenly at Its Best

Before the start of the battle, the power ratio of the Japanese and American battleships was eight to nine. However, with the addition of the Kongō and Haruna, the ratio reversed to ten to nine. The Japanese side assigned each corresponding enemy battleship from the leading Yamato to the eighth ship Fusō. Kongō and Haruna targeted the enemy's ninth ship together.

"The enemy first and second ships are targeting us, the third and fourth ships are targeting the Musashi, the fifth and sixth ships are targeting the Nagato, seventh and eighth ships are targeting the Mutsu, the ninth ship is going for the Ise."

Upon receiving the report from the lookout, Vice Admiral Itō, the commander of the First Fleet, couldn't help but smile at the enemy commander's straightforward responses. The first step would be to take out the huge battleships Yamato and Musashi, as well as the strongest older battleships Nagato and Mutsu, and then use all remaining strength to take out the remaining battleships with 36 cm guns.

The theory of collective warfare, eliminating the maximum threat first, was a solid tactic. However, things wouldn't go as smoothly. Moreover, there were still many tasks for them to accomplish.

Despite the Yamato being targeted by the two enemy battleships, there were no signs of anxiety in Itō's expression. They held air superiority, and the advantage of having reconnaissance aircraft was decisive. Additionally, they outnumbered the enemy in terms of gun caliber and the sheer number of battleships. Losing under these circumstances would be a lasting disgrace.

While the Japanese side fired first, the American side quickly retaliated with gunfire, making it almost simultaneous. The Yamato fired her three 46 cm shells, followed by the Musashi. Since they had reconnaissance aircraft, a slightly longer distance was acceptable. Just as you won't win the lottery without buying a ticket, you won't hit the target without firing the main guns.

"All overshoot!"

Upon the report from the observation plane, the barrels of the main guns slightly lowered. No one expected the first shot to hit. The key was how quickly they could adjust the shell's impact on the enemy ship, showcasing the gunners' skill and determining the turning point of the battle. On the other hand, shells aimed at the Yamato landed quite close, creating massive water columns around her.

"All undershoot!"

The second shot, on the contrary, was too close. This time, the barrels of the main guns lifted slightly. As the Japanese and American battleships exchanged fire with massive shells, Itō considered the situation from the enemy commander's perspective. The enemy commander, despite having a distance advantage, likely didn't want to be consistently on the receiving end. Being continuously pounded would undoubtedly negatively affect morale. Therefore, as soon as they started firing, the enemy immediately began counterfire. Perhaps they believed that even without reconnaissance aircraft, Japanese battleships could engage them on equal terms.

The Yamato fired the third salvo. Before its impact, enemy shells found the Yamato. Several massive splashes surrounded the ship, forming what was known as a crossfire. In a long-range artillery duel, and with no spotter available, achieving that feat would probably be like a lucky punch. Of course, they were aiming for it, but there was no way they could do it, even though the American battleship had an excellent fire control system.

"Looks like luck favors the Americans," a muttered comment reached Itō's ears.

Yes. Unfortunately, the most significant factor determining life and death on the battlefield was not skill but luck. In wartime, it was commonplace for seasoned veterans to die while inexperienced recruits survived. Luck was something beyond human control.

Thinking this, Itō focused his binoculars on the enemy flagship. It was about time for the third shot to hit. Simultaneously with the measurement officer's voice saying, "Impact, now!" flames rose on the enemy flagship's deck. The Yamato's third shot not only secured a crossfire but also landed a direct hit.

"Luck is fifty-fifty. The goddess of the battlefield seems to favor both of our sides."

The American battleship successfully achieved a crossfire at an unexpectedly early stage, while the Yamato also scored a hit simultaneously with the crossfire. However, there was no sign of the enemy flagship losing speed. Enduring the impact of 1,5-ton 46-centimeter shells probably played a crucial role in maintaining its combat capability. Despite being hit and trailing smoke, the enemy flagship retaliated with gunfire, followed by the second enemy battleship. Engaging an immensely superior battleship from the Americans, the Yamato showed no trace of fear, firing 46 cm shells from all guns slightly later.

The showdown between the leading battleships of Japan and the United States suddenly reached its climax.