Chapter 8 - Determined to Kill

I deeply felt that studying history, or rather military history, is something that should be done. Although I am a ship enthusiast, not a military or history enthusiast, I still consider myself to know quite a bit about super famous battles like the Battle of Midway, down to the details. However, on the other hand, most of the knowledge I gained comes from sources that are not primary materials, such as the internet or commercial magazines, so I don't know how accurate it is.

Now it's 07:00 local time. If the information from the internet and commercial magazines is true, soon six TBFs and four B-26s that took off from Midway base should appear as the vanguard. Starting with this attack, the 1st Air Fleet will continue to receive relentless attacks from aircraft launched from Midway base and the American carriers. Eventually, the carriers Akagi, Kaga, and Sōryū will be set ablaze by dive bombers sent by the enemy carrier task force.

But not this time. I activated detection magic to search for enemy planes. Detection magic involves the caster emitting magical waves and reading the reflection. According to the memories or information implanted in me by the goddess, the search area for detection magic is at most a few dozen meters for a typical mage. However, with the cheat from the goddess, I can easily cover several dozen kilometers, and I can also read the shape of the target. Those who chose the specialized type can perform even longer-distance searches and have significantly higher reading accuracy than me, the all-rounder. Several dozen kilometers may be as good as a poor anti-aircraft radar, but it's far better than nothing.

Soon, I sensed the B-26 heading toward the Akagi. I channeled magical power into my right hand to launch a fireball. The all-purpose magic skill I received from the plain goddess was originally a cheat given to protect people from the Demon King's army. But what I'm about to do is the opposite—undeniable murder using magic. Still, for self-preservation reasons, protecting my own life and the lives of the crew of the 1st Air Fleet, and to gain recognition for that power from the officers of the fleet, I will shoot down the B-26.

What would Betty think if she knew about this? It's certain she would be furious seeing the power she gave being used for murder. Or she might try to eliminate me as a rebel against the goddess. But that's a problem for later.

The reaction of magical waves is getting stronger. The B-26 was approaching closely. Each B-26 has seven crew members. If I shoot down two, that's fourteen people; if I shoot down three, that's twenty-one people. It's a splendid mass murder. But I have no hesitation. After all, this is Betty's responsibility for sending me not to another world but to the past in 1942. In a way, I'm just activating magic to shake off the falling embers. Also, there is no battle as frustrating as the Battle of Midway for me, and above all, I am someone who died once after being run over by a truck. I apologize to Betty, but let me do as I please.