Chapter 64 - Inevitable Clash

Upon hearing the news of the destruction of the Midway base air unit, Vice Admiral Ozawa, the commander of the Third Fleet, reminisced about Jun's words, despite the staff around him exploding with joy.

"If the carrier-based aircraft of the Second Fleet successfully ambushes Midway Base, the enemy task force will undoubtedly launch a full-scale attack on the Third Fleet without hesitation. Therefore, the Third Fleet should prioritize defense, just like in the First Battle of Midway."

At that time, Ozawa, feeling uneasy about Jun's words, questioned the rationale behind it. Jun, who should be familiar with the theory that carrier battles are significantly advantageous with preemptive detection and attack, seemed to be ignoring that.

"The commander of the enemy task force is Admiral Halsey. If it's that formidable commander, he won't engage in half-hearted imitations if the situation becomes decisively unfavorable. He will focus all his efforts on either defense or attack. Whether Admiral Halsey knows the phrase 'cutting flesh to break bones' is uncertain, but undoubtedly, he will choose attack over defense. If he launches a full-scale attack, sending over 500 carrier-based planes, we cannot defend against it unless we also go all out in defense. Moreover, the Americans can afford to lose several carriers, but Japan is different. A country struggling to strengthen even one carrier cannot afford to lose its precious asset so easily."

Prioritizing damage control over achievements is a typical Jun-like perspective, but Ozawa posed a malicious question.

"In that case, Jun-san, how about this? If the surprise attack on Midway succeeds, the Third Fleet will deploy all available attackers against the American Third Fleet. Meanwhile, fighters will commit their full strength to fleet air defense. If your assessment is correct, there shouldn't be any problems with this."

The fact that the enemy is launching an all-out attack implies that there won't be any fighter cover over the enemy fleet. Therefore, there should be no problem deploying Suisei and Tenzan without Zero escort. Taken aback for a moment by Ozawa's words, Jun quickly looked thoughtful.

"That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I, too, seem to have been fixated on the idea that it's either attack or defense. Very well. Well then, let's go with your plan. However, since there's no absolute guarantee against interference from enemy seaplanes, assign a squadron each from Shōkaku, Zuikaku, and Kaga to provide direct cover. Even with that reduction, we still have over 400 fighters for fleet air defense, which should be sufficient."

Recalling Jun's words, Ozawa issued orders. The American mobile task force, showing no signs of withdrawal, remained within the attack range of their carrier-based aircraft. In other words, they were prepared for a fierce battle. Furthermore, the American battleship fleet, deceived by Jun's strategy, was also advancing rapidly. The commander of the American battleship fleet is probably seething with anger.

"Deploy all available dive and torpedo bombers. Assign accompanying escort fighters from Shōkaku, Zuikaku, and Kaga only. After the attack group launch, immediately prepare for interception. Deploy all available fighters for anti-air combat."

The staff familiar with the conversation between Ozawa and Jun proceeded efficiently according to the prescribed procedures. The clash between the Japanese and American mobile fleets is imminent.