Chapter 80 - Annihilation

The six Tenzan of the first squadron, led directly by Lieutenant Commander Murata, were maneuvering from the right, while the six planes of the second squadron were maneuvering from the left, aiming to sandwich the Independence-class light aircraft carrier located to the left rear. The shells fired from the targeted light carrier were so dense that they seemed unlike those of a small carrier. Even on Murata's plane, there were constant unpleasant sounds and impacts as if metal were colliding since a while ago. Nevertheless, the Tenzan were rapidly closing in on the enemy aircraft carrier at a speed incomparable to the B5Ns.

Compared to its predecessor, the B6N Tenzan was heavier, making takeoffs and landings more challenging. However, its defensive capabilities had significantly improved. Murata keenly felt the benefits of this. According to what he heard, the Tenzan originally had an extensive range of over 3.000 kilometers even without torpedoes. However, it seemed that Jun, at the time involved in naval aviation and advocating for improvement, had advised to address the lack of defense. While long range might be a convenient requirement for those planning operations, it imposed a significant burden on those actually fighting. Given the Tenzan's lack of features and space for movements inside the aircraft, unlike the G4M land attack bomber, and its weak armor, Jun had questioned the naval aviation high command in a near-condemning manner, saying that there was nothing to learn from battles like the Coral Sea.

Murata had heard rumors that Jun disliked above all the tendency to disregard the lives and health of the crew. He first encountered Jun on the flight deck of the Akagi on the day of the Battle of Midway. At that time, Jun left an impression as an ordinary, unremarkable youth, and without the ability to use magic, he would have long been forgotten. However, in the two years since that initial impression, Jun's influence within the Imperial Navy had grown significantly. He had earned the unwavering trust of Admiral Nagumo, the commander of the Combined Fleet, and even influenced Navy Minister Isoroku Yamamoto. Jun's power of speech had become substantial enough to sway naval preparedness today, as evidenced by the Tenzan. Following Jun's advice, the range was compromised in favor of enhancing bulletproof equipment. Murata was currently reaping the benefits of this decision. Indirectly, Jun might be Murata's benefactor.

As Murata pondered these thoughts, the silhouette of the Independence-class aircraft carrier grew larger. It was evident from its movements that it was attempting to turn its bow toward them. Anticipating the enemy's intention, Murata slightly turned the nose of his aircraft to the left. Being a converted light aircraft carrier based on a light cruiser, its maneuverability wasn't bad from Murata's perspective.

"Still...!"

Having sunk enemy carriers many times before, Murata never misjudged the movements of enemy carriers. He anticipated the enemy's actions and transitioned to the optimal firing position.

"Fire!"

With determined spirit, the torpedo was dropped, and the wingmen's planes followed suit. Then, Murata noticed something. In the intense anti-aircraft fire that would have at least shot down one or possibly two aircraft if they were conventional B5Ns, not a single Tenzan had been shot down. It seemed like a dream.

"If we return safely, I must treat Jun-san to a drink. Oh, wait. Jun-san doesn't drink."

Reflecting on the strange fate that had bound them for two years, Murata, who was surprisingly friendly with something of a divine servant like Jun, stuck his plane close to the sea surface, attempting to withdraw from the range of anti-aircraft fire. Five of his wingmen followed in the rear. None had been lost yet. The joy of this fact overwhelmed Murata as he received mixed reports of cheers from his subordinates, confirming their achievements.

"A water column on the starboard side, another on the port side, and one more!"

It seemed that their first squadron had scored one hit, while the second squadron managed to hit two. If a small carrier took three torpedoes simultaneously, it would likely be unable to stay afloat. Balancing the joy of sinking an enemy carrier and the frustration of losing to the second squadron, Murata, as the commander, set out to assess the overall results of the battle.