Chapter 90 - That Time When I Was Suddenly Reincarnated in a Fleet Battle

Using the I-400's M6A Seiran, should we assassinate the stubborn President Roosevelt, who refuses anything other than Japan's unconditional surrender, by directly hitting the White House? Or should we attack the Los Alamos research facility to thwart the Manhattan Project?

Being trapped in unrealistic thoughts is frankly a dead end. Certainly, the Japanese military is putting up a good fight. If we focus only on the kill ratio of ships such as battleships and aircraft carriers, we may be overwhelmed. However, the difference is still significant. Economic power, industrial strength, scientific capabilities, in other words, national strength. Having fought against the United States many times, it is clear that Japan is not a match, not by a long shot. While the UK is in economic distress due to the loss of the Indian Ocean, and the Soviet Union constantly seeks assistance, the United States is tirelessly sending supplies. The United States supports multiple allied nations on its own and shows no signs of fatigue. Looking at the production statistics of the United States, everything is on the rise.

As I was thinking about defeating such a cheat-like nation, I was about to replenish my sugar levels with a famous sweet bean jelly, an indescribable pale light enveloped the surroundings. Simultaneously, a world that seemed detached from reality or even an otherworldly world like a reincarnation novel from an anime appeared.

A familiar scene.

The shadows that gradually emerged from that scenery transformed into a woman. Black hair, black eyes, wrapped in white fabric with simple lines and little undulation. Not particularly fair-skinned, her features are typical of a Japanese person. If there were twenty girls in the class, she would probably be ranked tenth or eleventh.

No mistake.

It's Betty One-Shot Writer from the Human Resources Bureau Reincarnation Division.

The self-proclaimed goddess who didn't transport me to another world but rather plunged me into the midst of the Battle of Midway on the aircraft carrier Akagi. Before I could think with my head, my mouth moved faster.

"Hey, Betty. You have something to say to me, right?"

Having survived intense battles and trained by fierce naval personnel (mostly veteran non-commissioned officers), I glared at Betty.

"Uh, how are you doing, Mr. Jun? In the short time I haven't seen you, your demeanor has become quite imposing... no, it seems like you've gained some dignity."

"I've crossed the death line many times, so gaining some dignity is natural! But more importantly, answer my question. Why did you send me not to another world but to wartime Japan!?"

To my tempestuous self, Betty remained calm.

"Oh, if that's the case, I apologize. It was just my careless mistake. The spells the goddess uses are very similar to English, and just one misspelling can completely change the meaning. Well, instead of sending you to another world... not that I sent you to Japan in the past. So, the reason you came to wartime Japan is partly your own will. For example, if you were a fan of Nobunaga Oda, you would have gone to the Sengoku period, or if you were a fan of the Shinsengumi, you would have gone to the Bakumatsu era. Therefore, it's not surprising at all that you, a warship enthusiast, were sent in this era. The fact that it was the scene of the Battle of Midway is probably because you had strong feelings about that battle."

For a ship enthusiast, there may be no battle as frustrating as the Battle of Midway. However, that's not the essence of the issue.

"So, what then? Are you saying I've struggled this much because of your careless mistake?"

"Bingo. So, as an esteemed goddess, I've come all the way to this world in the year 1944 to take you to another world as an apology."

Despite the apologetic tone, Betty seemed quite pompous. Nevertheless, I gathered myself and asked what's been on my mind.