Chapter 4 - Torpedo Bomber Ace

Setting aside revenge on the irresponsible goddess Betty, I realized the true nature of the discomfort I'd been feeling since earlier. On the flight deck of the Akagi, where I am now, there is no sight of Zero fighters, D3A dive bombers, or B5N torpedo bombers. The Akagi operates a total of 66 planes as its standard complement, but it cannot accommodate all of them in the hangars. Some of the planes are operated with open tie-downs on the flight deck. This means that the first attack group has already been launched to attack Midway.

"What time is it now?"

Feeling a bit anxious, I inquired about the time from the NCO.

"It's 04:55 on Day 4, local time. In Japan time, it's 01:55 on the Day 5."

It hasn't been thirty minutes since the launch of the first attack group. No wonder the flight deck is clear. In other words, 108 planes from the Akagi and Kaga of the 1st Carrier Division and the Hiryū and Sōryū of the 2nd Carrier Division were en route to Midway. Meanwhile, preparations for the second attack group are likely being carried out hastily in the hangar below my feet. The five soldiers looked at me with a troubled expression, pondering how to handle a young man who was clearly beyond their physical capabilities.

In the midst of this, one crew member was hurrying toward us. The NCO and soldiers surrounding me salute in a flustered manner. I interrupted my thoughts and focused on the approaching crew member. He looked like a determined man in his thirties or so.

"According to what I heard from the crew on deck, someone suddenly appeared on the flight deck with a flash of light. Who the hell is he?"

Without letting his guard down, the crew member threw a direct question to the NCO while making eye contact with me.

"I apologize, sir. We haven't confirmed his name or why he appeared on the Akagi yet."

In response to the overly polite attitude of the NCO towards me, the crew member furrowed his brow.

"What happened?"

While suppressing his voice, the crew member glances at me, and the NCO, feeling a bit uneasy, turned to face me. He probably sought support in explaining the situation to me, but I ignored him. I have no obligation to help someone who attacked me out of nowhere. Reacting to my attitude, the NCO, who gave up seeking support, struggled with his vocabulary but recounted the events to the crew member. Well, nobody would believe a story about an adult's punch having no effect and a stick hitting from behind turning into ashes due to a magic spell. Nevertheless, without interrupting, the crew member listened to the NCO's story and then directed his sharp gaze toward me. If I hadn't received cheat-like powers from the plain goddess, I would have been completely intimidated.

"I would appreciate it if you could correct the part about leaving the 'suddenly attacked' or 'cowardly attacking me from behind' part. But overall, what he's saying is mostly accurate."

Being fairly adept at reading between the lines, I affirmed the NCO's words. The other four soldiers also echoed that what the NCO said was true. When five men provided the same testimony, it carried significant weight. The crew member turned to me and straightened up.

"I am Shigeharu Murata, Lieutenant Commander of the Akagi's torpedo bomber squadron. Although our divisions differ, I apologize for the extreme rudeness displayed by my subordinate," he bowed.

I, who have rarely experienced being bowed to by someone else, can't help but feel a sense of panic. Moreover, the person bowing before me is a lieutenant commander who is over ten years older than I am. Afraid that speaking might inadvertently dig a hole for me, I shook my head with a chuckle, urging him not to worry about it. This is the best act I can put on for now.

Meanwhile, my brain's internal database is searching for information about Lieutenant Commander Murata. Even though I'm not particularly knowledgeable about airplanes, I know about him. A seasoned commander who led the torpedo bombers in the attack on Pearl Harbor and has consistently defeated the Allied forces since the beginning of the war. Renowned for his exceptional skills, he's nicknamed the Torpedo Bomber Ace. If not for the others looking at me, I might have asked him for an autograph.

In contrast to the NCO, Lieutenant Commander Murata, with his courteous words, asked about my background and why I appeared on the Akagi. While I would like to tell him to ask the modest goddess about why I came to the Akagi, being honest would only raise more suspicions. Therefore, I decided to mix some lies into the truth.

"My name uses the character of Hayabusa, but call me Jun. Well, consider me as a servant of the gods in terms of existence or position. The reason I came to the Akagi is to save the 1st Air Fleet from a crisis. However, this is not something I can handle on my own will. It requires the understanding and cooperation of the 1st Air Fleet's officers and men. But even if I tell you all this, you probably won't believe me right away. So, for now, I'll make a prediction. In about fifteen to twenty minutes, a Catalina flying boat that took off from Midway will appear over this fleet. At that moment, the location of the 1st Air Fleet will be exposed to the Americans. I would like the officers of the 1st Air Fleet and Captain Aoki, who should be on the bridge, to be informed of this. It's difficult for them to believe the words of a suddenly appearing youngster, but at least if they are prepared, it would be better."

Upon hearing my response, Lieutenant Commander Murata appeared genuinely thoughtful.

"Ah, I said fifteen to twenty minutes, but it might be ten to fifteen minutes instead."

I made him aware of the time limit until the appearance of the Catalina. Even if Lieutenant Commander Murata reports the prophecy of Catalina's arrival to the 1st Air Fleet headquarters, it won't have much impact. However, this can pique the interest of the 1st Air Fleet headquarters and, if things go well, earn a bit of trust.

"I will go report what Jun-san said to the captain for now. I apologize, but Jun-san, please wait here until then. Is that acceptable?"

Well, allowing an unknown person into the heart of the ship, the bridge, without any prior knowledge would undoubtedly be considered reckless or foolish. I nodded in agreement. With a relieved expression, Lieutenant Commander Murata left me with an order for the NCO.

"Serve tea to Jun-san. And a chair, too."

With that said, Lieutenant Commander Murata hurried to the bridge.