Chapter 22

CALLIE

Phoebe and I slowly walked back through the forest while collecting herbs for my grandmother.

We made small talk, but Phoebe must have guessed that I wasn't up to talking more, so she kept quiet. I couldn't see her gaze on me every so often, but I never looked back at her. I tried to keep my mind from my racing thoughts.

Trying to keep my thoughts at bay, I picked up a few herbs I knew Ada would need while Shadow wandered around sniffing and chasing rabbits.

"That wolf will end up getting his nose bitten or something," Phoebe said, making me glance at her. Her eyes were on Shadow, who had his nose in a burrow. He chased a rabbit in there, and now knowing him, he was trying to get it or play with the damn little thing.

I knew it was a circle of life, but I wish he would leave them alone, especially the small ones. Since he knew where his bread was buttered, he would never eat them.

"He'll leave them alone," I murmured, pulling my head from my ass. I needed to feel more myself. I was looking forward to school, where I would know everything, but I was hesitant about the other witches. They all hated me and judged me for the way I looked.

"Come on," Phoebe muttered, making me look at her, and she stared back at me. Her eyes softened. "Your grandmother will wonder where we are since we have been walking around here for the last two hours."

Wow. Being lost in your own thoughts makes time fly by. I know the saying means fun, but why would it be fun picking up herbs for my grandmother? I could think of other things to be more fun than this.

"Sure," I said, looking at Shadow to call him. "Come on, Shadow. Leave the rabbits alone." I watched him move his head and look over at me. I'm sure he can sense when I am off because he trotted over and rubbed his fur against my leg, which made me smile.

"He loves you," Phoebe said with a smile when I looked at her. "He is calm and knows when you need him. That there is a genuine bond."

Looking down at the wolf, whose eyes bore back at mine, I murmured, "Come on," but before I could finish, my stomach let out a low growl, which made me realize I hadn't had food for a while.

"Well, I believe that indicates that you need to be fed," Phoebe said with a slight laugh. "How about I make you some food and the enormous ball of fur while you wash up and get cleaned? We can eat, and then we can decide on what you want to do next."

I nodded, not saying anything.

We walked away, with Shadow following right behind me, but as soon as we got onto the street of the town, I felt someone watching me.

Why is it that whenever I go somewhere or do something, I am always stared at? It makes me feel like I am on high alert and must be careful with what I do.

My magic was fuelling every inch of me, but I kept calm.

Phoebe stopped and followed me as Shadow came to the other side. It was like they could sense I needed them to be with me. "Don't think about them," Phoebe whispered, looking over her shoulder and stopping, which made me stop.

I looked to see what was happening when something hit the back of my head. I placed my hand on my head and rubbed it but turned to look around to see some young witches staring back at me.

"What the hell is your problem?" Phoebe shouted, glaring at the witches. But none of them looked at her and completely ignored her. They only had their sights set on me.

Shadow let out a low growl and stepped in front of me to protect me, which made some of the witches smirk.

"Oh look, she has a little puppy looking after her," one of them shouted, suddenly which made the other laugh.

"Oh, I wonder how the werewolves would react," another chimed. "They will have a field day with him, even eat him."

My rage peeked more, sending my magic to the surface, but I didn't let it get to me even though they were on about Shadow.

There were some hostile glares at me, but something told me that was what I had to do when I started school. Phoebe started toward them, but one of the girls laughed in her face and shoved her back slightly. "And what will you do about it?" she shouted. "You're just a pathetic witch who has no magic or backbone."

Phoebe glared at the girl, but all I could do was clench my fists to my sides and try to control what was going on inside me. They kept throwing more insults my way and at Phoebe.

Phoebe has magic, but she doesn't use it like most people around here. She always told me she would rather fight with her fists than use magic. You never know who you are fighting; hunters hunted her for most of her life.

"You shouldn't be able to go to the school," a girl shouted. "You make us look bad. Look the way you look."

"She's a freak," a boy shouted, which ended up with everyone chanting 'freak.'

Closing my eyes, I controlled myself until I heard a loud scream coming from where the kids were, which made my eyes fly open, and there, right before me, were ten big-ass wolves snarling.

Where the hell did they come from?

Rogues rarely came here, not since the forest was closed off a few weeks ago. But before that, I was the one who had to deal with them, not anyone else.

My magic flared up, bringing the purple flame around my hands.

"Rogues," Phoebe shouted. "Move! Now!"

The kids that were throwing insults my way were now running away. Only one tripped over as a rogue came close to her. There would be a better part of me that would let her get eaten, but I am a better person at most. I moved toward her and flicked the damn mutt away from her. I stepped in front of the girl, who looked like she had seen a ghost. "Move!" Phoebe shouted. "Get up now."

My eyes stayed on the wolves, who were now circling, but a loud howl from behind them made them all tense.

Whoever it was, their aura was more powerful than I had ever felt before.