Chapter 26

CALLIE

Food passed in silence. I wasn't up to talking about anything, not even when my grandmother mentioned school.

Knowing that I was going was great, but now, since what happened, I was getting worried about how everyone would treat me or the others.

The wolf looked like he had never seen a witch before. I know I was different, my looks being one of the factors, but there was something about the way he was staring that had my back up.

"Callie!" my grandmother called, which made me shake my thoughts away. I glanced over at her while her eyes bore back into mine. She was full of concern; I knew the tone she set with me. It was the one she would use on me as a child when I hurt myself. "Are you okay?"

I stared at her for a moment. All the plates and food were now gone from the table. I hadn't even noticed anything since I was in my own little world. My eyes moved from hers, and I found Storm on the ground, lying under the table and close to my feet.

Looking up, I noticed Phoebe was staring, which meant they were waiting for me to answer my grandmother's question. "I'm fine," I muttered, which seemed to be my only response.

Everything I did moments ago came flooding back. I rescued one of the witches that picked on me. That was probably the most shocking thing, but it was how she looked at me when I told her to leave. I didn't mean it nasty, but I didn't want to hurt her with my power.

"I'm fine," my grandmother blurted, which made me get out of my head and back on her when she continued. But even I can tell you are not. This evening was a lot for you, and even with what the council had sent, you still seem off."

I stared at her, but before I could utter a word, a knock from the front door echoed around.

Keeping my eyes on my grandmother, Phoebe went to the door and answered it.

"We will talk when whoever is here has gone," she muttered. "It might be best to figure out where your head is beforehand. I don't want you to do anything that you don't feel comfortable with or even—"

The kitchen door flung open, which cut my grandmother off. We both looked to the door to see Sienna and the girl from before, with Phoebe standing behind them. "Callie, you have some visitors," she said as the two girls stepped inside.

Sienna moved away from the girl and walked over to my grandmother, hugging her. She kissed my grandmother's cheek and walked around till she came to the side. I felt fur press up against me, which made me realize Storm was fully under the table and now resting his head on my feet. He wanted to know he was with me.

Looking under the table, I met with his eyes staring back. His tongue darted out and licked my ankle, which tickled slightly. Once he put his tongue back in, he pressed his wet nose to my leg and kept it there.

I looked back up at Sienna, who was watching me. She smiled and looked at the other side, which made me look at—the girl. The girl's eyes widened, but she darted away from looking under the table to me and gave me a small smile.

"This is Brie," Sienna said. "She wanted to come to see you and thank you for what you did at the attack."

I didn't look back at my friend but kept my eyes on Brie.

Brie looked at me, and then her cheeks flushed slightly when she looked away. "I wanted to thank you for saving my life with that rogue," she said, looking back at me. I smiled at her while she continued. "I would have used my magic, but that wolf was too quick for me."

I said nothing but glanced at my grandmother and then back at Brie.

"I thought nothing of it," I said, moving in my seat when I felt everyone's eyes on me. "I would have done it for anyone."

"Including the ones who were mean," Brie blurted out, making me nod.

"Why would I let a wolf harm those who are supposed to be like me?" I asked with a frown. "We all have our own opinions about others. I just don't let them get to me. If I did, then my magic would get a lot worse. I have had to manage my feelings since they came to me."

Brie stared at me in awe. I believe this was the first time I had ever spoken to anyone about something like this, especially someone stranger I had never met. Considering she was from the coven, she was a stranger. Everyone was. Whether it was because of the council for it all or how others acted around me, it was difficult to pinpoint anything anymore.

I learned at a young age, ever since the night with my father and mother, that I had to be prepared for anything. The few nights of being here and getting attacked by rogues, too, were another thing that I had to deal with, just my grandmother and Phoebe by my side. They were family, which was their job, but no one else came to see me.

Shaking my thoughts away, I looked at Brie and gave her another smile. "I appreciate the thank you," I said, which was true.

Brie nodded and smiled.

"I meant every word," she said, moving slightly and looking toward Storm, then back at me. "Does he go everywhere with you?"

"Yeah," I whispered, looking down at Storm. "He goes everywhere with me."

Brie nodded.

"That's cool," she said with a smile. "I have never had a pet before."

That got my attention. My eyes stayed on Brie for a moment before I spoke again. "Storm is not a pet," I said, widening her eyes slightly. "I saved him as a pup, and he had no family. I took him in when he needed a family. He has stayed with me ever since."

Brie's eyes softened.

"Wow," she said. "I never knew that."

"No one in the coven knows," Phoebe chimed. "It happened one night when she was out walking."

I said nothing, not wanting to give anything away. That night was a rough one for me.

There was an awkward silence that lingered before my grandmother cleared her throat. I looked over at her.

My grandmother smiled.

"Why don't you three girls watch a film in the lounge?" she said. "Make an evening of it. You can also stay."

My eyes stayed on her for a little while until Brie spoke. "Yeah, that would be fine with me," she said, making me look at her. "I would like to be friends with you, Callie. I should have never listened to the others."

Part of me wanted to be friends with her, but there was something in the way she said the last part. Why would the others have it for me? They don't know me.

"It will be fun," Sienna said, making me look at her. She gave me a reassuring smile.

Letting out a sigh, I smiled at them.

"Sure," I said.

Sienna moved from where she was standing and walked over to Brie. I waited for a moment before I moved up and followed.

Storm moved up from under the table and followed me into the lounge, where we found the girls sitting on the couch. I sat on the chair while Sienna knelt by the TV to see what we had to watch.

I leaned back and tried to let go of everything roaming around my head. There was a lot going on, things that had happened since the so-called attack by the wolves. There was something odd about it, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Sienna picked a film—Coyote Ugly, one of our favorite films to watch.

This film will make me forget, even if it was for the next hour.