V.1-Ch.2.4

Misaki

The Advanced Nurturing High School; Class 1-D

The next day, I arrived in my classroom early in the morning. Inside, I saw a couple of students who were already sitting down. Some of them were talking to each other about their daily lives, while others stayed quiet and yawned. As for the rest of the class, they had not arrived yet. There was still plenty of time before class started, but I had a feeling that they may be late.

I walked over to my desk and sat down. I placed my bag down at my feet, then looked around at my classmates. They were smiling, laughing and enjoying their lives to the fullest. They had no worries, no clue whatsoever about everything around them. I was the only one who knew the truth. No, I was one of two people who knew the truth. I may not fall myself, but they certainly will. Before they even realize it, they would already be in the depths of the abyss with no hope of escape, and with no one able to save them.

I could speak up. I could stand and warn them about the dangers of this school. Yet I can't, or rather I won't. If Cassandra-a Greek priestess who had the powers of prophecy-couldn't convince her own people of incoming disasters, I doubt I could.

Next to me, I heard the sound of a page flipping and I turned. There, I saw Furukawa reading a book-a new one-to pass the time. The book he had the other day was on his desk, closed with the cover face-up.

"Another one?" I asked. "Did you already finish the one you had before?"

"Yeah."

I stared at the book he had on the desk and thought about the book I had. I only brought one from home, but during my time here, I had already finished reading it. I didn't bring every single one of my books from my collection at home, considering this was a school where I had to focus on my studies. However, I began to grow restless not having anything else to do besides studying.

"You can take it."

"Eh?" Furukawa grabbed the book and handed it to me. "Why would you give this to me?"

"I summarized that you enjoyed reading when I saw you reading a book back when we were on the bus. I thought you should take it."

I stared at him, then stared at the book he held in his hands. After a few seconds of thinking to myself, I decided to take it. "Thank you, I suppose." I looked at the book in front of me. This would be the very first time where I get to read the Sherlock Holmes series, and the first time holding a book from here.

"You'll need to return that to the library so you can borrow it in your name." I nodded in understanding.

The door of the classroom opened and Matsubara-sensei came inside. "Good morning everyone. I hope all of you are doing well." She walked up to the podium and stood in front of all of us. "Before we start class, I will be making an announcement. Today, our school will be hosting a Club Fair after class in Gymnasium No.1 at around five pm. Any interested students may go, but I recommend that all of you should go check it out before making any decisions."

Clubs huh? I thought to myself. Back in junior high, I was never in any clubs nor was I interested in them. However, considering the words my mother gave me, I suppose I should take some of my time to check that out.

Hours later...

After class ended, I grabbed my bag and stood up from my seat, prepared to head off to the Club Fair. Before I went however, I looked around the classroom and glanced at my classmates.

"Hey, are you going to take a look at the clubs?"

"Yeah. Hey, how about we take a look at it together?"