V.1-Ch.7.1: Preparation

Misaki

Advanced Nurturing High School; My Room

The next morning, I was inside my room, staring at my phone which laid on my desk. On my screen, it showed a list of the only two contact numbers I had-Furukawa's contact and Kurino's contact. I moved my hand and hovered my finger over my phone, hesitating to click one of them. I pulled my hand away, taking a breath and calming myself, then I grabbed my phone and clicked it. The phone rang in my hand, and after a few seconds, someone picked up.

"Hello?"

"H-Hello, Kurino-san, this is Horikita. I know this is too much to ask of you, but...I need your help."

Advanced Nurturing High School; Cafeteria

At lunchtime, I decided to meet with another person who could help me with the class. After I waited for a while standing in the cafeteria, he finally arrived.

"Thanks for coming, Furukawa-kun."

He turned to look at me, and as always, he had that blank expression on his face. "I came because you called me. However, you never told me the reason why." Earlier, I called Furukawa and asked him to meet me in the cafeteria during lunchtime. I never told him anything except that he should come as soon as possible.

"We'll get to that. Since it might be a long talk, why don't you get something to eat. I'll help pay of course."

He stared at me with his dark-gray eyes and I stared back without showing any fear or hesitation. "Fine."

After buying a meal set for him, the two of us found an empty table and sat down. He grabbed his chopsticks and as he was about to eat, he turned to me.

"You're not eating?" he asked.

"No, I'm fine."

"I see." Using his chopsticks, he dug into the food, taking a bite of the shrimp tempura.

"Now then, onto the reason why I called you here. I plan on forming a study group with the entire class." He listened to me as I talked while continuing to eat. "Besides you, I called Kurino-san as well. She's onboard to help me bring the class together to prepare for the midterm test. We'll be meeting up at the library later as soon as class ends."

Furukawa swallows his food and turns to look at me. "And you need me to help as well."

I nodded. "That's right. Seeing that we may not work well as one big study group, I've decided that it's better for us to be in multiple smaller groups. It's more efficient that way."

"So you want me to take the lead in one of these groups?" Furukawa asked.

"No, I want you to get the rest of our class onboard with this. Kurino was able to get most of our classmates, but not all. I need you to fetch them."

"I see...but why me? Surely there's someone else who's more capable than me you could ask."

"Seeing that we're in Class D, a class full of defects, I highly doubt that. You're more reliable to me than let's say Azuma-kun or that guy Shirogawa. Besides..." I pointed to him eating the meal set. "You're already eating the food I bought you."

He stared at me in the eyes, then turned to stare at the meal set in front of him. Some of the food was already gone from his tray. He placed down the chopsticks and let out a sigh. "A trap..." A trap indeed. A trap specifically designed to force him to do as I wish.

"Now you can't refuse me, Furukawa-kun. Which means I trust you to do as I said."

Furukawa turned back to look at me. "You know, you didn't need to set up this trap. You could've asked straight to my face."

"I could've, but there's a chance you might've refused to help. By doing this, this gives me a 100% chance of cooperation." Furukawa sighed. "Anyways, as I said, I need you to get the rest of our class to come to the library later to study. Can you do that?"

He nodded. "It's a simple task. I can handle it. I'll go and have a talk with Kasai Arata. Seeing that he's the second most important figure in our class, he should be able to get everyone else onboard."

"I see. That's a good idea," I agreed. I turned to look at Furukawa and his tray of leftover food. "It's going to get cold. You should eat. We're going to have a lot of work to do, you and I."