V.1-Ch.5.3

Furukawa

Advanced Nurturing High School; My Room

It was Saturday. I was inside my room in the kitchen, brewing some tea with a kettle over the stove. As I waited for the water to heat up, I grabbed a container of dried chrysanthemum flowers from my cabinet and some aromatics, placing them to the side for later use.

After a few minutes, the kettle made a whistle and I turned off the stove. Opening it, I added in the dried chrysanthemum flowers and other ingredients. I closed it and went off to the side to wait.

After waiting for a few minutes, my phone, which was plugged into the wall and charging, began to ring. Someone was calling me. I went over to my bedside and picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Ah! Furukawa-kun!" It was Kurino who called me. "Um...if you don't mind me asking, do you have some time later?"

I moved my phone away from my ear and checked the time on my screen. It was about nine in the morning. "It depends. Why?"

"Oh, well I just called you to see if you want to hang out at the mall later on."

"Hang out?" I repeated. "I don't know much, but don't you usually hang out with your friends? I'm sure Hamasaki and Yoshinaga are better people to hang out with instead of me."

"Hey~, don't say that! You're a nice person, Furukawa-kun. And you're one of my best friends. So I want to hang out with you today! Besides...you made that promise, remember?"

The day when Misaki and I went to the karaoke bar for Kurino's class party, we barely stayed there. Misaki had left just after a couple minutes after she arrived, and so did I. Because of that, I promised Kurino that I would do anything to make it up to her for that.

"Right. The promise."

"So...?"

I went over to the kitchen and checked the tea kettle. As I was talking to Kurino on the phone, the tea had been brewing on its own and now, it was finished. I grabbed a tea cup and poured some chrysanthemum tea into the cup and sipped it. It wasn't brewed for long, so it didn't have much flavor.

"What time?" I asked Kurino, who was still on the phone.

"Ah! Thank you! Hm...let's see...how about somewhere around noon?"

"That works for me."

"Hehe! Alright then! I'll see you soon, Furukawa-kun!" Kurino hung up and I placed the phone back into my pocket. I went over to the table and placed my cup of tea down, then went over to my desk and opened a small drawer beneath it.

"Hang out together huh...?" I reached into the drawer and grabbed out a small golden necklace with an amethyst gem.

"Hey Hide-kun! We still have some time before lunch ends. Do you want to hang out with me for a bit?"

"Why me, Naomi-san?" I asked.

"Why? Well, because you're my friend! Friends always hang out with each other!"

"Friends..." I repeated. "Alright..."

"Yay! Come on, let's go!" Naomi grabbed my hand and the two of us ran off.

"..." I placed the necklace back into the drawer and closed it. I went over to the table and gulped down the remaining tea in the cup. "I suppose I should get ready..."