V.2-Ch.4.4

Ogawa

Advanced Nurturing High School; My Room

The next day, I woke up to yet another day of school. Instead of leaving my bed as usual to dress up and leave for class, I remained still, staring at the ceiling above. A classmate of mine, Tsukamoto, was involved in a fight with three Class C students. And I was the witness of that fight. Because I was the witness, I now had to prepare myself for the day where I would speak in front of the teachers and the Student Council.

"I can't do it...!" I said to myself.

I grabbed my pillow and hugged it tightly, so nervous as the day of the deliberation meeting got closer and closer. I closed my eyes and began to imagine myself standing in front of all of them, and the look on their faces as I told my story.

"Mhm...! No! I can do this! I...have to!"

I stood up from my bed and looked at myself in the mirror. My long pale-gold hair was messy, and for one thing, I didn't look so good without my silver-rimmed glasses. If I were to speak in front of all of them the way I was, I wouldn't give off a good impression.

I shook my head, pushing these thoughts back for now. I took a deep breath and stared at my reflection. "H-Hello, everyone! No, wait...that's a little too cheery, isn't it?" I restarted and did it again. "I-I'm Ogawa Kimiko, from Class D! I-" I paused and grunted. "I-I can't do this~..."

Advanced Nurturing High School; Dormitory Hallways

After so many futile attempts at practicing what to say, I left my room and went on my way to class. I let out a heavy sigh, disappointed at myself.

"I'm so useless..." I muttered quietly. What should I do...? I-If I can't speak up, then Tsukamoto-kun will be suspended! And...Horikita-san...everyone else...they'll be mad at me...

Trying to ignore these thoughts, I pulled out my camera to take a look at the pictures I had. I went through one by one, staring and admiring each one's beauty.

I sighed, calming myself down. "It's fine....everything's fine. I'll be alright...I hope..."

Misaki

Advanced Nurturing High School; Class 1-D

As I quietly sat at my seat waiting for class to begin, the door of the classroom opened and Ogawa entered. Without a word, I took a quick glance at her and she did as well. I had not yet told everyone in our class that Ogawa was a witness. The only ones who knew were me, Furukawa, Karuizawa, Tsukamoto, and Hasegawa and Seong from Class B. I told them all to be quiet, so as to not scare her from all the attention our classmates would possibly give her.

Ogawa quietly walked forward, sitting down at her seat in the back row where I was. To her right, Tsukamoto was sitting next to her, and to her left, it was a male student named Sakaguchi Hajime-another one of our classmates. We were one desk apart from one another.

I turned to take another quick glance. Ogawa was looking down at her desk with a frown on her face. Just then, the bell rang and I looked away, preparing myself for the start of class.

An hour later...

After homeroom and the class period ended, Matsubara-sensei stepped from the podium and left the classroom. Seeing this chance, I stood up from my seat and went over to Ogawa.

"Come with me, Ogawa-san."

"R-Right..." She nervously stood up from her seat and the two of us left the classroom, following behind Matsubara-sensei.

Advanced Nurturing High School; Hallways

"Matsubara-sensei," I called out to her.

She stopped and turned around. "Horikita? And Ogawa? The next class period is about to start. What is it that you need?"

"About the deliberation meeting in the next two days. I found a witness." I turned to look at Ogawa, who was standing behind me.

"A witness...?" Matsubara-sensei squinted her eyes, staring at her with suspicion. "Ogawa, if you truly are a witness, why didn't you step up before?" she asked.

"W-W-Well, I'm quite shy and...I didn't have the courage to speak up before..."

"But you do now?" Ogawa nodded.

"Yes... I realize now that if I don't speak up, Tsukamoto-kun and our class will end up in a bad situation. So...I'm here now..."

"I see..." Matsubara-sensei sighed. "Very well. However, if you are indeed a witness as you say you are, you surely know that it is required for you to show up at the deliberation meeting, correct?"

"Y-Yes!"

Matsubara-sensei nodded. "Well, if that's all, I'll be leaving now." She turned away to leave.

"Just one question, Matsubara-sensei." She stopped and turned back to look at me. "At this deliberation meeting, I want to confirm something. Is there any chance for other students to come?" I asked.

She nodded. "If Tsukamoto allows it, then yes. There are two spots open, and only two. I assume you will take one of them, but...who will be the other?"

"Who do you think?" I said, looking into her eyes.

She stared at me for a moment, then chuckled. "I see. Furukawa huh? It seems things will be more interesting..." Matsubara-sensei turned and walked away. "I suggest you two head back before your next class starts."

After she left, it was now just me and Ogawa in the hallways. "U-Um...Horikita-san."

"What is it?"

"F-Furukawa-kun. Is he...really going to come?" she asked, nervously.

I nodded. "Don't worry, it'll be fine. Furukawa-kun doesn't bite."

"I-I see. If you say so..." Even though she was still afraid, she placed her trust in my words.