V.1-Ch.7.5

Misaki

Three days have passed since we've received the news from Matsubara-sensei about there being changes in our midterm test. Since then, Kasai, Kurino, and I have been working hard to get our classmates in our study groups to go in the right direction. Like last time, it was long and challenging, but we managed to do it. Tsukamoto and Shirogawa were the only ones who didn't come to our study sessions. With the exception of Shirogawa, I was worried about what may happen to Tsukamoto if he continued missing these sessions.

Advanced Nurturing High School; Library

As always, my study group and I met each other in the library. Azuma and Kawasaki continued answering practice questions and remembering them by memory. On the other hand, Karuizawa, Ogawa, Hano, Furukawa, and I have been taking notes, doing our best to help each other. The only things that were different were that we were using new material, and we were missing one person from our group.

"Um..." Hano raised her hand. "About these math formulas. Is there an easy way to remember them? Like for example, the circumference and area of a circle seem to be similar, so I kind of get them mixed up sometimes."

"Hey, Horikita-san, I have something else different that I don't understand," said Karuizawa, raising her hand.

I turned to Furukawa, who was sitting quietly and staring at his notebook. "You mind helping her?" I told him.

Furukawa looked up, then he stood and went over to Karuizawa. She told him what she didn't understand and he looked at the notes she took, then he began explaining it to her in the simplest way possible.

"Now then, about your formulas..." I began explaining to Hano the best way she could tell the difference between the two, then told her about the different ways of remembering the formulas needed for the midterm.

"I see..."

"I tried my best to explain it. I apologize if it didn't make sense."

"No no, it's fine. I mean, I kind of didn't understand it, but I got most of it," said Hano. "Thank you, Horikita-san."

"You two," I called out to Azuma and Kawasaki. "Are you doing alright on your own?"

"Y-Yeah, we're getting the hang of it. Most of it we don't understand, but we were able to solve it."

I nodded, then turned to Ogawa, who seemed to be looking down. "Is something wrong?" I asked.

"Eh? U-Um...well..." Ogawa paused for a moment. "It's not really about the studying, but...about our study group. Will...Tsukamoto-kun's absence be a problem?" Everybody in our group heard her and turned their attention to us.

"He has Track, so it's going to take some time away from our study sessions. If he continues skipping these because of his club activities or if he just doesn't want to come, then...he may fail and be expelled."

"Tsukamoto's our friend and all, but does it really matter if he's expelled? I mean, it should be fine, right?" said Azuma.

I glared at them. "No, it's not." Azuma and Kawasaki's bodies nervously shook and they gulped out of fear. "If a single one of us fails, our class will be affected by it. So if Tsukamoto's gone, then that means something may happen to our class. We may never have a chance to gain any Class Points."

"T-That's bad!" said Kawasaki.

"Exactly. Which is why I'm not going to let him or any one of you get expelled. All of us need to be together until the very end. If one day the school gives us an exam where we all have to work together, then we need as many people to cooperate."

As I said that, they all began staring at me, almost like they were looking at me in awe. Just from their stares, I began to feel a shiver down my spine and everything around felt awkward.

"W-What?" I asked.

Karuizawa smiled and shook her head. "It's nothing. It's just you seem really determined and motivated."

"Is that so...?" I went silent for a moment and stared at myself. Have I really changed...? I shook my head, then sighed. "Anyways. Everyone, resume and focus on your studies. Especially you two." I glared at Azuma and Kawasaki.

"Y-Yes ma'am!" they both said at the same time.

"As for Tsukamoto-kun...I'll take care of him and bring him back." I will make sure Tsukamoto comes back, and together, all of us will pass this midterm test.