V.2-Ch.4.1: A Key Witness From The Scene

Misaki

After our meeting at the mall, Furukawa and I headed off on our own to search for the witness Hasegawa showed us. As for Tsukamoto and Karuizawa, I told them to leave it to us and rest in the meantime. If we approached them with too many people, it may be suspicious and may even scare them away from us. We didn't want to risk that.

"Horikita. Do you really believe the information Hasegawa gave us?" asked Furukawa.

"I do. In fact, I had a feeling that it could've been her."

"You did?"

I nodded. "Back when Matsubara-sensei announced the fight to the entire class, there was all but one person who didn't react the same as everyone else. And that was none other than Ogawa-san. She was looking down, almost as if she was trying to bring herself to say something, but couldn't. It was suspicious to me. And now with Hasegawa-kun's information, it confirms that she's our witness."

"I see. And speaking of our witness, do you know where she is?"

"No, but I'm sure someone else does."

"You mean Kurino?" I nodded. "...I see."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"...It's nothing."

I stared at him for a moment, then turned away. I pulled out my phone and opened my contact list. Clicking on Kurino's name, I typed and sent her a message.

"Kurino-san. Do you know where Ogawa-san is at the moment?"

A few seconds passed and eventually, the message was read. "No, I don't. But if you'd like, I can ask some of my friends for you," Kurino replied.

"That'd be great."

I waited a few minutes, then Kurino sent me another message. "Ogawa-san is in the school courtyard."

"I see. Thank you," I texted back. A few seconds after I sent it, Kurino sent me an emoji showing a thumbs-up and a smiling face.

"So?" said Furukawa.

"She's in the courtyard right now. If we go there right now, we might make it in time before she leaves." Furukawa nodded and we left the mall.

Advanced Nurturing High School; Courtyard

As Furukawa and I arrived, the two of us found Ogawa sitting on a bench in the middle of the courtyard. She was taking pictures with a personal camera of hers, and from my perspective, she didn't seem to plan to move from the spot.

As she was happily taking pictures of the scenery around her, we approached her. "Ogawa-san."

"Eek!" Ogawa let out a startled cry and turned to look at me. "O-Oh, H-Horikita-san, Furukawa-kun. I-It's you. W-What are you doing here?"

"I apologize if we're ruining your time, Ogawa-san, but may we talk? I-"

"I swear I don't know anything about the fight!" Ogawa suddenly spoke out.

Confused, I stared at her with a puzzled face. "I never mentioned anything about the fight."

Ogawa gulped and slowly turned away. "O-Oh...I-I must have misunderstood. He he he..." she nervously chuckled.

"...Ogawa-san, do you perhaps know something about it?" I asked her, getting to the point I was here.

Ogawa remained silent and held onto her camera tightly, unable to look at me in the face.

"Ogawa-san, if you do know something about the fight, please tell us. In three days from now, there will be a deliberation meeting between our class and Class C. If we go there with nothing, Tsukamoto-kun may be suspended. So if you were a witness, I would like you to speak on Tsukamoto-kun's behalf."

Ogawa nervously turned towards me, staring at me with a nervous look on her face. "I-I..." As she was about to speak, she took a quick glance at Furukawa and her face dropped. "I-I'm sorry! I-I don't know anything!" Ogawa stood up and ran off, holding her camera tightly to her chest.

"Wait!" Even though I shouted, she didn't stop and left completely from our sight.

Furukawa tilted his head. "Why did she run?"

I glared at him. "Are you seriously asking that question?" Furukawa didn't faze and stared at me with his usual blank expression and dark-gray eyes. "I made sure it was only the two of us who approached her, but I realize now that it should've just been me alone," I said with a sigh. "Stay here. I'll follow her by myself." Leaving Furukawa behind, I walked away and chased after Ogawa.