V.1.Ch.8.3

Misaki

Advanced Nurturing High School; Class 1-D

The day of the dreaded midterm test had arrived. Our entire class was here on time, and no one seemed to move an inch, nervous for what's to come. A few of them were looking at the answer sheets we gave out the other day, studying and memorizing the material; others were muttering to themselves, praying to pass this test; and there were those who were taking naps, tired from studying yesterday.

The door of the classroom opened and Matsubara-sensei entered. "Good morning, everyone." The entire class focused and turned their attention to her. "Oh? It seems you've all changed a little bit. You're much more like a class now." Matsubara-sensei gazed around the room and stared at each of us. "And the determination I see in your eyes...you must be quite prepared for this test."

"Of course, Matsubara-sensei. All of us have studied quite a lot these past few weeks. None of us wants to be expelled after all," said Kasai.

"Hm. Well, if the fear of expulsion can be your motivator, I suppose I can't argue with that."

Matsubara-sensei walked around, passing out the test papers to each of us. In our first period of class, we started with Japanese, which was quite easy for me. As for the others, I assumed that they would have no difficulty passing this, especially with the answers from the old test and study sessions we had.

"Before we start, I must tell you all something. Should you pass this, as well as the final which we would have in a few months-around July-then you'll all be rewarded a summer vacation for your success."

"A-A summer vacation?" said Kawasaki.

"That's right. All four classes will be on a beautiful island surrounded by the blue ocean."

An island... Hearing those words from Matsubara-sensei, memories of one of the stories my mother told me came to my mind.

"Our first special exam was on a deserted island in the middle of the sea. There, everyone in our class had to cooperate with each other in order to survive for an entire week. At times, everything went well, but there were a couple problems that we had to face and take care of. I was the leader, but...I was sick. Because of that, we almost nearly failed, but luckily, we managed to win first place in the end."

An uninhabited island exam where our class would have to work alongside each other, surviving for as long as we can with what we have. I hope when that time comes, we'll be able to pass it.

"I can't wait...!" said Azuma and Kawasaki with grins on their faces.

I sighed heavily. Of course, the boys were the same as usual. Being perverts who were dying to see girls in their swimsuits. I suppose the only exception was Furukawa and that invisible boy named Shirogawa.

Matsubara-sensei managed to pass out the tests to everyone. With confidence in ourselves, and with the teacher's signal, we all started. As I analyzed each of the questions, answering them one by one, I looked around the class to see how everyone was doing. The test was not so different from the old test nor the mock test, so it shouldn't be as difficult. So far, no one has stopped moving their pens. They were each moving at a quick pace, taking a brief moment to look at the question, then writing in their answers. Seeing this, it made me feel a little proud.

By the time we finished the Japanese test, we moved on to second period where we had History, and moved on to third period where we had Science. So far on these tests, the problems we were given were exactly as I anticipated. The notes and practice questions our study group took were nearly identical. I'm positive everyone will get through this.

After a while, it was now fourth period. We had started our Mathematics test, which had multiple complex problems, some requiring formulas to solve them. It seemed challenging, but the entire class managed to complete it, answering to the best of their abilities.

Now it was the end of this class period, and it was time for break. Everybody had dropped their pens down, taking a sigh of relief and a moment to talk to each other.

"Man...I'm beat...!" said Kawasaki.

"Don't be so down about it, Kawasaki! I'm sure we all got passing grades! For me, I think I got maybe...140 Points? Nah, I'd say I got a perfect score!" Azuma said confidently.

A perfect score didn't seem possible for someone like Azuma. If anything, he and Kawasaki should have at least gotten the minimum score to pass. As for Tsukamoto...
"Dammit..." he muttered to himself, looking at the old test answers, specifically English. He was sweating profusely.

"What's wrong?" asked Azuma.

"...Tsukamoto-kun, you didn't study did you?" I asked hesitantly.

He was silent for a moment, then shook his head. "No, I didn't..."

"Eh?!"

"I'm sorry guys. I was working so hard at Track the other day and I was so tired. I tried to get everything in my head last night, but..." He clenched his fists, crumpling some of the paper. "Dammit..."

Break time was short. We had about ten minutes before we would start the next test, meaning Tsukamoto didn't have much time to review it. In the worst case scenario, he may end up with a failing score, which would in turn get him expelled.

I had planned everything from the start so the entire class could get a chance to pass and stay at this school. I knew that there was a possibility that at least one person couldn't pass, but I was hoping that never happened. Now, here we are. If Tsukamoto doesn't pass, then...I would most likely have to resort to that option.

"Tsukamoto-kun, just look over at the questions that will give you the most points. If you can, get a few of the easier questions as well."

"G-Got it." Tsukamoto turned his attention to his paper and concentrated.

I sighed, then turned back and sat down at my seat. "It's a difficult situation, isn't it?" said Furukawa, who was sitting next to me.

"Yes...it is. I suppose you're doing well?"

"Can't say. These past tests have been difficult, and I've honestly been doing my best. I might be able to pass with at least the minimum."

"I see. Furukawa-kun, if it's not too much, can I ask you for a favor?"

"A favor...?" he repeated.