V.1-Ch.5.2

Misaki

Advanced Nurturing High School; My Room

Inside my room, I was sitting down at my desk reading a book called "The Fall of the House of Usher", written by Edgar Allen Poe. I started reading it just a couple minutes ago, and seeing that it was a short story, I finished it in less than an hour. I closed the book, then checked the time on my phone. The library was still open. I grabbed my book and got up from my seat, then I walked out and left my room.

Advanced Nurturing High School

On my way there, I happened to notice Kurino talking to a few of her friends in the hallway. From the looks of it, her friends were none of our classmates. They seem to be first-years and second-years from other classes.

"Hehehe...!" Kurino laughed alongside them.

Seeing that they were in the same direction I was going to go, I walked towards them and tried to move past them. But then...

"Oh, Horikita-san!" Kurino called my name. "Hey, you guys go ahead. I'll catch up with you later!" Her friends waved goodbye and left, then Kurino came up to me. "Good afternoon, Horikita-san!"

"Good afternoon, Kurino-san," I greeted her. "Is there something you need?"

She shook her head. "No no, I don't need anything! I just saw you, so I thought it'd be great to talk to you!" Kurino looks down at my hands. "Oh? You're going to the library?"

"Yes, I am. I was going to return this, then check out some new books."

"Hm...so you like books huh? Do you read light novels or manga?"

"No, I don't read anything like that of the sort."

"Then what do you read?"

"Mystery literature."

"Oh..." Not many people like any of the older books, considering most of them are confusing, boring, or long. In this case, Kurino seemed to be one of those people. Like everyone else, I don't blame her.

"Well then, if you'll excuse me."

"Wait!" Kurino stopped me again. "Where are you headed after the library?"

"After? I'm just going back to my room."

"Oh! In that case, how about we hang out at the mall later? Or tomorrow during the weekend if you want!"

"I appreciate the offer, but no thank you. Why don't you invite someone else, like Furukawa-kun?"

"Furukawa-kun...? Um...but are you sure? I mean, you two seem quite close and I don't want to ruin anything for you guys or anything."

"I already told you it's not like that. Even Furukawa-kun said the same thing."

"Oh, I see..." Kurino placed her finger to her lips. "Well, I suppose I could hang out with him. He did promise to make it up to me..."

"Promise?" I repeated.

"Oh, it's nothing! Well, enjoy the rest of your day, Horikita-san!" Kurino waved goodbye and left. Since our conversation was over, I left and headed on my way as well.

Advanced Nurturing High School; The Library

I arrived and went towards the reference desk in the library. When I got there, I noticed that there wasn't anyone sitting there like usual. I looked around the library for a moment, then I saw the silver-haired librarian. She was on top of a ladder, putting some of the books away back on the shelf. Seeing that she was busy, I decided to put the book inside the drop box, then I went and looked around the library.

In the Mystery section, I took a glance at the books on the shelves. I grabbed one and opened it to read the first few pages. Seeing that it was interesting, I decided to hold onto it. I looked around again, then grabbed another book from the Sherlock Holmes series.

I went back to the reference desk and still didn't see the librarian. I turned and saw that she was further away now, putting more books back where they belonged. Since there was no else who could check out my books, I went towards her.

"Excuse me," I called for her.

She turned and looked down at me. "Oh, it's you. Is there something you need?"

"Yes. I would like to check out these two books. If...that's alright with you..." I said, glancing at her on the ladder.

"Oh, yes, that's fine." She slowly stepped down the ladder. "Alright. Let's go."

The librarian and I went back to the reference desk. She sat down on her seat, then I gave her my two books and my Student ID card.

"You come here quite a lot," she said. "I take it you're very interested in books?"

"Yes, I am. It's a nice hobby to pass the time."

She smiled. "Yes, it is." After she scanned the two books, she handed them back to me. "Here you go."

"Thank you." After taking the two books, I turned to leave.

"Wait." I stopped and turned back to the librarian. "If you're a fan of the Mystery genre, then I highly recommend a book for you." She reached down beneath her desk, then pulled out a book and handed it to me. "This is the first book in the Lord Peter Wimsey series, by Dorothy L. Sayers."

I grabbed it and stared at the cover of the book. "Sayers... Why give this to me?" I asked her.

"Well, I can tell that you enjoy reading quite a lot. I thought you might like it. And..." The librarian paused, then smiled. "Well...you kind of remind me of a close friend I had."

"I see..." I stared at the book in my hand, then handed it to her. "Then I'll check it out." She nodded, then scanned the book. After that, I walked away and she waved goodbye to me. She seems so young. Probably around the same age as my mother. Could she...perhaps know her? Could she have attended here at this school like my mother? If that's true then...maybe... I shook my head and sighed. "It's impossible..."