Chapter 16 | Moonlight

"I've been fighting my demons."

Fighting My Demons - Ken Carson

________________________

Drake's POV:

Wiping away at the clouded mirror, I practically tear my clothes off of me, feeling free finally, yet at the same time, I can't shake this weight of darkness within my heart. I step into the glass-walled shower, turning on the jets so streams of water wash over me. Even in this warm embrace, I can't feel any lighter, or any better about my situation, nothing seems to be on the right track right now. I'm certain of one thing though, Addison was put in my path for a reason, destiny brought us together, I know it sounds cringe, but maybe I'm just delusional at this point.

I step out, grabbing the towel so I can dry myself, inhaling Addison's scent from the towel. It's like I can smell better, hear better, see better, I don't know why, but I'm placing my money on that demon Lord inside me. If I'm being honest, I become lost for a few minutes, breathing in her scent, it's driving me crazy, it's making my stomach twist and turn, intoxicating at this point but I finally shake off the spell I'm put under.

I simply pull on a pair of shorts and exit the bathroom, seeing she's in bed, soundly asleep, feeling my heart ache at the sight of her gorgeous face, flipping the lights off in the bathroom, closing the door.

I walk over to my 'comfy' mattress, laying down on the bare surface, no pillow, no blanket, just me, myself and I. Wonderful, isn't it? I try to sleep, but thoughts plague my mind, not find a moment to rest. I turn my head to face her, still asleep, her dark hair sprawled out against the pillow as her skin sparkles in the stream of moonlight piercing through the curtains, she's an angel. . .

Somehow after a few minutes, I finally find myself drifting off, the moments becoming shorter as I feel the darkness consuming me, the voice calls me and my vision begins to fade into black.

●●●

I take a deep breath as I open my eyes, rising from the solid surface of grey water I lay on, realizing I'm in the darkness again, The Void. . .

I stand up and I hear a chuckle behind me, making me turn around to see the dark cage towering over me, with the demon Lord taking a seat inside it.

"Back so soon?" He questions, wrapping his clawed hands around the bars of the cage. "You summoned me, did you not?" I question back and he smirks.

"So you heard me? Smart little human aren't you? I bet you have a lot of questions to ask and after spending some time watching everything you do behind your eyes, I'll gladly answer them." He spoke, reaching his arm through the cage, and hooking his finger around my waist, pulling me closer, making me get a good look at him. I don't feel fear when I'm around him, it's almost nostalgic when we're together, like this is meant to be. . .

Interesting.

"What is your name? I wouldn't want to refer to you as demon Lord all the time, y'know?" I say and he thinks, opening his mouth to speak.

"My name is Shadow, demon Lord of the reaper nation." He says and I become confused, I've never heard of this nation.

"Reaper nation?" I question and he nods, continuing his sentence. "I doubt there's any left, they were probably killed off by the other demon nations in my absence, but in the end, it was futile to do so, because I alone am strong enough to kill all the other nations!" He says with a loud laugh, making me smile slightly.

"Very prideful," I say and he rests his head in his hand. "You're no better, very egotistical around that little girlfriend of yours." He chuckles and I rub the back of my neck awkwardly, his not wrong.

"I'm surprised though, she's an interesting one." He says and I raise an eyebrow. "How so?" I say as I take a seat beside him, the only thing between us is the cage bars.

"Most would've turned their heads and ran at my looming presence generating from you, but she held her ground, and embraced our darkness, loving it, and even when it grows in response to your intimate moments, she welcomes it," Shadow says and I smirk, she is so comfortable even though she knows there's a literal demon inside me, she is an interesting one.

"So you going to tell me how you ended up inside my head?" I ask and he sighs.

"I'm not sure myself, it's been over 2000 years since I last felt the sun on my skin, the breath of air in my lungs." He says and I have a huff, still plenty of questions on my mind. "Why 2000 years ago? Where did you go?" I ask and he furrows his brows, averting my gaze. "Don't worry about that, Drake. For now, just focus on controlling the power I give you, it'll aid you in the days ahead." He says as he taps his finger against the bar.

"How though?" I question and he thinks for a moment, "It takes belief and sight, believe that you can do it, and see it come to fruition." He mutters, locking eyes with me.

"Easier said than done, Shadow." I say and he grins, looking like he has something to say, "Moonlight, it always makes the world so much easier to see."

"See the world?" I ask and he continues.

"I've split the world into two categories: the things that matter, and the things that don't."

"But why?" I ask and he takes a breath.

"Because I had a dream that would never come true if I didn't, we have only so much time and effort in this world, so I decided to dedicate all of my time and effort to what mattered, and I cut myself loose from everything else."

He pauses.

"But there is too much static to let us do that. The static clouds the world, and hides the things that matter, it's so easy for people to lose sight of what's really important. If you ask me,  the world shines too bright, creatures see too many things, and that's why you lose track of what matters."

I listen intently, drawn in by his words.

"That's why I think that the illumination from the moon is just right for my world, the world I will create. It makes everyone look more closely, so they don't lose sight of the truth. We just need to stand in the darkness, as the moonlight guides us to the things that matter."

He stops.

"And so. . ." He spoke slowly, coming forward, nearing closer, his face coming into view with a devilish smirk.

"In this world lit by the moon, what is it that you see?"

To Be Continued...