Lee Eun-Hyuk x fem!reader angst

He was everything you could've asked for. Your shining light in a world full of darkness. Eunhyeok was a perceptive man. A man that wouldn't let your worries take over you without interrupting your thoughts himself. One doesn't go into the medical field without naturally caring for humans to some extent, and he showcased that to you in every interaction you had.

You could remember when you first introduced him to your mother. She was a harsh woman. Building a life for the two of you after being abandoned by your father lead her to a distant attitude and tough skin. Even so, you couldn't ask for more from her. It's hard for a single woman to support a newborn child with only 30,000 won to her name.

She never verbally said she loved you, nor did she give you comforting hugs. You were envious of the other children at school. The way they talked about their family activities, or walking home with their other siblings. You never even heard a simple 'congratulations' for a perfect report card. It was difficult. But...

She loved you in her own type of way. You knew that.

Your mother requested to meet Eunhyeok over dinner after she heard about your boyfriend. She was impressed with his aspirations and even more impressed by his formality around her. You were relieved to see them getting along nicely. Things were going more smoothly than you thought they would.

That was until she turned her attention to you, asking you a simple question that had more meaning than she let on.

"So, Y/N. How are you fairing these days?"

To any other person, the words would've slipped by them as a simple conversation starter. A way to check up on someone you haven't talked to. But you had lived with her for eighteen years of her life, and if those years taught you anything, it was how to read between the lines.

The tone of her voice, the emphasis of her words, all of it was a jab at you. A jab at how you decided you were too burnt out to go to college, a jab at how you were stuck in a low-paying retail job with shitty management. She had a habit of taking out her pent-up frustration on you in the form of words.

Your jaw tensed up a bit, but you quickly hid it behind a gentle smile and began to tell her about your work. You told her about life in the Green Home and how you met Eunhyeok because he helped you pick up the bag of groceries you dropped as you were walking out of the grocery store. You told her every detail you could. Because that was the only way you knew how to distract yourself from the things she would deem as failures.

Before you could go on, an unexpected voice cut through your words. Eunhyeok began to speak, telling her about your accomplishments. Complimenting you now and then. She listened intently, pleasantly surprised at the way he spoke of you. That was the moment you knew you were surely in love with him.

It was only when you got back to the Green Home that he held you tightly in his arms, not leaving your apartment until he confirmed that you were emotionally okay.

After a while, you came over to his apartment so frequently that you could be mistaken for family. It took a few months for Eunyu to warm up to you, but after a conversation about her love for ballet spiraled into something much deeper, she started treating you like the sister she never had.

He would take you out on dates with what little money he had left, he would hold your hand, spend nights on end talking about whatever came to mind, and devote his heart to you. You had high hopes that it would last forever.

But it didn't.

The world came to an abrupt halt, your relationship going along with it. Monsters roamed the land and there was no telling who was next. For all you knew, you could be the next victim to the intense nosebleeds and skull-crushing headaches.