chapter twelve; new new york

"A HALF A YEAR AGO the new directions were nothing but a group of six misfits stumbling their way through a horrific renditionof sit down, you're rockin' the boat

of sit down, you're rockin' the boat. now here we are at the top of the show choir heap. nationals!" kurt squealed sitting on the red steps of times square, sharing a baguette with me.

"i want to hit up central park, get my frolic on." tina laughed, shimmying into mike who was sitting next to her.

"i want to throw stuff off the brooklyn bridge." puck said to lauren who was twirling her hair in between her fingers.

"guys, hold on. i mean, we still have two songs to write." finn put his hand up as kurt ripped off the edge of the baguette and handed me the rest.

"okay, mr. bossy pants. but i still think we have some time for a tune before we leave" kurt smiled
"start spreading the news im leaving today" he began and everyone else joined in.

"i wanna be a part of it new york new york" we all sung, getting interrupted by rachel who came walking towards us with a big smile on her face.

"guys, i have news. to celebrate our impending
win at nationals i got us all 13 tickets to broadway's longest-running show ever cats." she squealed and brittany cheered.

"for someone who's apparently broadway obsessed, you might want to check the dates on those tickets rachel becuase cats closed eleven years ago" i snarked and rachel looked down at them.

"he did seem crazy, he charged my credit card by swiping it through his butt crack" she sighed and i turned to kurt who shrugged his shoulders.

"good old new york" he whispered and i clinked my baguette with him.

"do you know that i can get
an ahi tartare and a steak sandwich at 3:00 in the morning from their all-night dining menu? i feel like eloise." kurt fawned over the menu.

"i have pills for that." brittany said.

"all right, guys. this is your time. now, you are all on lockdown till you finish writing our songs for nationals. i want at least two solid verses by the time i get back." mr shue grabbed a key and headed to the door.

"aren't you gonna help us?" mercedes asked and mr shue bit his lip and responded awkwardly.

"i, um- i will be back and read your amazing creations and give notes. but right now i have to head to the theatre to, uh, fill out some paperwork." he lied before opening and shutting the door behind him.

"hold on. are you singing about a cup?" tina asked after hearing brittany's original song.

"yeah. totally." she smiled and quinn got up and grabbed her coat.

"we gotta get out of here." she said and a few more people got up following her lead, which rachel wasn't very happy about.

"wait. no, no, no. mr. schue gave us explicit instructions." she stammered trying to get everyone back down.