ϟ 9 ϟ

A NEW HERO

ϟ 𝐖𝐄𝐃𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟓/𝟐/𝟏𝟐 ϟ

ELLIE jogged off of the track, huffing and puffing as she struggled to catch her breath.

"Nicely done, Reeves," she felt her coach clap her on the back, causing the precious air she was trying to keep in to escape her lips in a cough.

"Thank you, Coach," she replied breathily.

"See, you belong on this team. I don't know what Patty's problem is," Cameron Jones spoke to the girl, resting her hand on her shoulder.

Cameron Jones was the definition of intense beauty. Her hair was always in long braids that reached down her back and her stare was even more impressive. Her dark hazel eyes that perfectly matched the color of her skin looked like they could cut steel.

Ellie was scared the first time she met Cameron. That might actually be an understatement. She was terrified.

But she found out, through several practices, that the girl was actually quite nice. She had welcomes their new second leg with open arms, actually defending her from Patty's nasty antics.

"Go, Beth! Put some leg into it!" The girl behind her yelled as Bethany Foster handed the baton to Grace Otters.

Bethany and Grace were harder to persuade.

Bethany was your typical straight A student. She not only did track, but also managed twenty hours a week working and was involved in several school clubs. Ellie had no idea how one girl could manage all of that, until she began to experience the girl up close.

She was tense. She showed up to practice, hammered her work out, and didn't speak much. It seemed that her walls were built higher than even Ellie's.

Grace was a bubbly persona, that much was true. However, she seemed to be skeptical of Ellie. From the moment the relay team was paired, Ellie could feel Grace's eyes on her every second. She seemed, in a way, threatened. When it came to Ellie, she was always competing.

Ellie didn't really mind whether the girls were her best friends or not, as long as no one poured milk on her.

Of course, she felt gazes from Patty all the time. Even now, from where she was warming up for the next event, Patty's eyes were on Ellie. Jealousy swam in them, watching the young girl have everything she wanted.

In the past week, Ellie had managed to gather more information about the situation she fell into -- mostly thanks to Cameron.

Cameron, Beth, and Grace were the fastest juniors last year. Everyone knew they were set to be on the relay team. Patty had been the fastest sophomore, by a long shot. Apparently, she had been set on being on this relay team.

Ever since Ellie showed what she could do on the first day of tryouts, Patty had it out for her.

Ellie didn't think it was that serious. She most certainly could not understand why a high school sport seemed to be the end of Patty's life.

She heard Cameron cheer beside her as Grace crossed the finish line, entire feet in front of the girl coming in second behind her.

Ellie cheered with her, feeling Cameron throw an arm around her. At least one of her new teammates liked her.

The team gathered quickly, Cameron hugging the two other seniors.

"Way to finish, Grace!" Cameron exclaimed.

"Way to start," Grace smiled back as she hugged her friend.

"I think we were really lucky to have Ellie pushing us ahead, right?" Cameron hinted to her friends, elbowing Ellie in her side.