ϟ 11 ϟ

ICE CREAM FOR TWO

ϟ 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟓/𝟒/𝟏𝟐 ϟ

ELLIE sat in study hall with Adam near the end of the day, her chair scooted closer to him than usual as she tried to help him understand his algebra homework.

"Hey, you know what, I think we should celebrate our big success," Adam interrupted, leaning back in his chair.

Ellie sat up and rolled her eyes at the boy, "Is this another distraction so you don't have to learn to factor polynomial expressions?"

"I thought we were working on my physics homework," Adam spoke confusedly.

Ellie set her elbows on the table, dropping her face into her hands in defeat. Adam carefully propped her back up, looking her in the eyes.

"Come on, you're always doing your homework or doing my homework or at track or at home sitting around," Adam groaned. "Live a little! Let's get ice cream or something tomorrow."

Ellie felt her cheeks flush red as Adam stared her down, waiting for an answer. As her blue eyes met his brown ones, she was reminded of what Chloe had said earlier, watching Adam parade around the school lobby. Usually, the feelings in her gut were a product of her intuition. A feeling of tension: something bad was about to happen; tension snapping; said bad thing has happened; warmth: she was safe. She wasn't a fool though. She knew that the thousands of butterflies she felt flapping around in her stomach weren't due to her intuition.

It was a plain old high school crush.

What a fantastic way to ruin her friendship with Adam, right when she had really begun to enjoy his company.

She felt like she was in a car going downhill that had descended too quickly. She wasn't quite sure why. Could it be the uneasiness she felt as Adam's eyes bore into hers? Or the fact that she realized there was no good way to tell Leo about her new feelings?

"Uh- Ice cream?" she asked, realizing that Adam had been awaiting a response.

"Come on. It'll be fun," Adam pleaded, sticking out his already-pouty bottom lip.

Ellie sighed, willing the butterflies to go away. "If I agree, will you finally start studying? You have a test next period."

Adam hesitated, before bending to her will, "Fine. I'll focus."

Ellie leaned back over his homework, beginning to explain to him how to do problem three. She knew that she would be working to get him back on track the entire period anyway, but the deal felt like a win regardless.

ϟ 𝐒𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟓/𝟓/𝟏𝟐 ϟ

"I have to go. Leo asked for help in English," Ellie told her father as she walked around the dining table to get to the front door.

"Do you have to?" Benjamin Reeves asked his daughter skeptically.

"Come on, Dad," Ellie complained. Her body was sore from her first few days of training with Niche and she was hardly in the mood to make her mind sore with all of the usual arguing.

Things between her and her father had been more tense than usual since her first day meeting Niche. She had thought long and hard about all of the things he had prohibited her from experiencing. Though she couldn't tell him why she had these thoughts, or explain to him the thoughts themselves (for fear of retaliation or an argument), Benjamin Reeves had felt their affects regardless.

Maybe that was why, after a short pause deep in thought, he looked up at his daughter, telling her, "Be back by dinner time and please be safe."

"I will," Ellie grinned, though the butterflies in her stomach made her want to positively hurl all over the floor in front of her. She grabbed her jacket from the coat rack next to the door, putting it on and leaving without another word.