ϟ 18 ϟ

SPEED TRAPPED

ϟ 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟗/𝟏𝟕/𝟏𝟐 ϟ

ELLIE wasn't sure exactly why Adam showed up at her house on Saturday. She wasn't sure why he asked her to be his girlfriend right then.

Most importantly, she wasn't sure why she said yes. It was impulsive and not at all like her. But it was fun. She felt giddy walking into school on Monday. She knew she would get to see Adam. Her boyfriend.

She didn't think she'd get used to calling him that.

"Morning, Leo," Ellie greeted.

"Oh, hey, Ellie," Leo said back. "Sorry about Saturday. That pizza place needs better customer service!"

"Oh," Ellie laughed. That part of Saturday had definitely not been on her mind. Just the evening. "That's okay. I understand. What was the family emergency?"

"The family emergency. . . was. . ." Leo began.

"Leo's grandma fell down a flight of stairs," Bree interjected.

Ellie's stomach dropped. "Oh my god. No way. Is she okay?"

"Y'know, she'll live and the cracked bones will heal, but the memories of laying on the ground waiting for help will stay with her forever," Leo spoke wistfully.

"That's so terrible," Ellie said, with her hands over her mouth.

"What's terrible?" asked Adam as he walked over to the trio, standing behind Ellie. Ellie's heart began to beat more rapidly as she looked behind her, catching his gaze. He caught it and smiled, waiting for an answer.

"What happened to Leo's grandma on Saturday," Bree told him. Adam stared back with a confused expression.

"Y'know, the reason Marcus and Ellie had to leave," Leo added, helping Adam to remember.

"Oh, yeah. Really awful thing that happened when she. . . did that thing," Adam said, seeming like he now remembered what they were talking about. Ellie watched him closely as he talked, taking in every expression and trying to commit it to memory.

"Well, should I write a card or something? Just to let her know I'm thinking of her?" Ellie suggested, wondering what she could do to help.

"NO!" Leo said instantly.

Ellie stared at him. "Why not?" she asked slowly.

"Because. . . you know Rose! She's so proud. If she knew that we told you what happened, she'd be pretty embarrassed. Maybe a little angry at us," Bree told her.

"Oh, you're so right. How did I not realize that?"

"Hey Adam," a voice called, prompting the group to turn to its source.

Becky Dare. Junior. Tennis team. Ellie recognized her because she was friends with Patty. She was laughing after she poured milk on her.

"Becky. What's up?" Adam asked.

Ellie was thankful when Leo inserted himself between the two, putting distance between them. What could Becky possibly want with Adam? Plus, Becky was pretty. Like almost as pretty as Andy, pretty.

"Sorry Becky. Adam can't talk right now. He has a horrible disease. You'd better jet before his flesh starts eating itself," Leo told the girl cheerily.

Becky's face morphed into one of disgust as she quickly took her chance to run away.

Adam, annoyed by Leo's antics, went to sit on the bench in the middle of the lobby.