ϟ 27 ϟ

SECRETS

ϟ 𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟏𝟎/𝟐𝟖/𝟏𝟐 ϟ

ELLIE fell down in front of Niche's building on her hands and knees.

Right, as if her wrist needed any more pressure on it. She stood as quick as she could, stumbling with legs failing her. All of the adrenaline that had distracted her from her pain was gone now and she realized that her body was weak.

She leaned against the brick, sending three hard knocks to the door.

"Who is it?" Niche's voice came through the speaker beside the door.

"I need help," Ellie rasped, the mask over her face still modifying her voice. Her throat was more sore than it had ever been.

The door opened with a click immediately after. Ellie supported herself on the door jamb as she stumbled into the office. She was met with the familiar room: glass doors, golden statue of a man in the corner. She never needed to be on the first floor anymore, so it wasn't a sight she had seen for a while. But everything was just as she remembered.

Suddenly, Ellie heard the clicking of heels on the floor. It was rapid. It matched the exact pace to which her mentor had been rushing down the steps. She threw her arms around Ellie, stabilizing her.

"What happened to you?" she worried as she helped her over to the steps.

Ellie brought her right hand up, pulling down her mask. "I wasn't ready."

Already, her voice was becoming extremely hoarse. When the two were upstairs, Niche sat her down on the white loveseat and took a spot next to her, examining her left wrist.

"Broken," she muttered as she focused, turning the limb in her hand. "What else did he hurt?"

"My throat," Ellie coughed.

Niche pulled down her hood carefully with both hands, taking great caution so as not to harm her. She put her hand right below Ellie's chin, lifting her head to examine her throat next. What she saw made her suck in a large breath.

Ellie had a large red handprint stretching all the way around her neck.

"Elara, I-" the sighed, finding the right words, "this is why I denied you at first. This was the bad side to being a hero. Are you sure this is what you want?"

Ellie didn't hesitate to respond exerting herself way too much as she did, "How else would Abominable learn his lesson?"

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

THE bright sterile lights of Mighty Med were unfamiliar to Ellie. When she and Niche entered, they were greeted by several confused doctors. They had never before seen this superhero.

"I need Horace Diaz," Niche told one of the doctors. "Can one of you get him for me?"

Ellie's hood was back up, her mask over her face again.

"Who is she?" one of them asked.

"She is Voltage. Dr. Diaz, please?" Niche prodded in response.

The doctor she had been talking to quickly left, going down the hall. Ellie took a seat on one of the beds with Niche sitting in the seat beside it.

When the doctor came back, he came with another man, a little shorter. His hair was brown, speckled with grey and he wore a white lab coat over his pink button-up. She remembered him as Uncle Horace, the man who had been standing above her when she woke up in this very hospital ten years ago.