ϟ 10 ϟ

UNIFORMS AND SUPERHEROES

ϟ 𝐖𝐄𝐃𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟓/𝟐/𝟏𝟐 ϟ

"NO?" Ellie repeated, confused.

"No," Niche confirmed, getting up from her spot on the loveseat to walk around.

"W-Why not?" Ellie asked.

"How old are you? Fourteen?"

"I'm fifteen," Ellie told her indignantly.

"Regardless. You're in high school. You're maintaining a cover. I am absolutely not going to help you blow that cover. You need to live your life first."

"But Elena has no life," Ellie complained, catching Niche's attention. "She's nothing but a cover. I'm never allowed to do anything for myself."

"Being a hero is not something you do for yourself," Niche told the girl stiffly.

"It could be," Ellie protested.

"You want to be a hero because you think it's fun?"

"No, that's not-"

"Is it so that you'll feel closer to her?" Niche suggested.

Ellie paused, taking time to really think about it.

"A little bit," she admitted.

"There are less dangerous ways to connect with your mother."

"I doubt any of those would be available to me."

"And being a superhero is?"

"I was hoping I'd have people to help me," Ellie said softly, beginning to lose hope.

"No, I won't be part of this, Elara. You've been raised as a normo. You have no proper training for you abilities or combat. It's illogical and unsafe."

"Then I'll find somebody else to be," Ellie decided, getting up from the couch. How many other leads could she find in the shed of her house? Probably several.

She began to walk out, face tinged red with annoyance and frustration, the lights of the building beginning to flicker.

Based on their initial conversation, Ellie thought this would be easier. The woman seemed to understand her.

Evidently not.

"Is that you?" she heard from behind her as she began to descend the stairs.

"What?" Ellie asked gruffly as she stopped.

"Come back," Niche demanded softly.

Ellie slowly turned, walking back and calming down.

"The lights. Does that happen often?" Niche clarified.

Ellie took notice to the flickering lighting of the room.

"Sometimes," she said as she began to calm herself down, the lighting stabilizing with her.

"Impressive," Niche commented. "Elara, how did you get here?"

Ellie hesitated. She hadn't expected that question.

"I came through the power lines," she told the woman before her.

"The power lines? How?"

"I can turn into electricity sometimes. I can travel through electrical wiring. I popped out in the bathroom of Jeffery Pub and walked down the street."

"From Mission Creek, California?"

"How do you know where I live?" Ellie asked curiously.

"I've kept tabs," Niche responded vaguely. "Child, I don't have any desire to teach you."