ϟ 23 ϟ

BRO DOWN

ϟ 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟏𝟎/𝟖/𝟏𝟐 ϟ

ELLIE walked into school the next week hoping that, for once, it would just be a normal day of school. She was immediately disappointed to see Adam walking incredibly slowly down the stairs, holding onto the railing with an arm sling on. She walked over, looking up the flight of stairs at him.

Chase came around the bend, watching Adam as well. "Adam, what are you doing?" he questioned.

"Yeah, I second that," Ellie spoke, alerting Adam as to her presence.

"That accident was a wake-up call. I never realized how unsafe the world is. Danger lurks at every corner and it uses the stairs to get there!" Adam proclaimed, carefully taking another step down.

Then, Miss Thistle came over to the stairs to Ellie's left, grabbing on to the railing and starting to climb up.

"Go around, Thistle! I was here first!" Adam told the poor old woman.

Ellie rolled her eyes, offering Miss Thistle her arm to help her get to the other side.

"Wait. If you're suddenly so safety conscious, then I guess you won't be able to run after me when I do this," Chase realized aloud, then punched Adam's shoulder and ran down the stairs and past Ellie.

"Hey, be careful! Running down the stairs is dangerous, LIVES ARE AT STAKE HERE!" Adam yelled after his brother's retreating figure.

Then, he looked up at Miss Thistle, who was near the top of the stairs now. "Hey, you do know your class is downstairs, right?"

The woman covered her mouth in realization, turning around and beginning to descend the stairs again.

"Adam, what's going on?" Ellie asked, looking up at him.

"I dislocated my shoulder yesterday. It made me realize how unsafe the world is. From now on, I'm going to take every precaution I can," he told her, slowly taking another step.

"Adam," Ellie spoke in a sympathetic tone. "Everybody has to get hurt sometime."

"I'm not supposed to get hurt," he responded, having taken two more steps.

"Even you," she retorted, holding her hand out in an offer to help him.

"Won't that be-" he began to ask, but Ellie didn't need him to finish to know what he was asking.

"I'm just a friend helping a friend," she responded, keeping her arm out. Adam slowly got off of the railing reaching fro his girlfriend. She took his bicep with her extended left hand, taking his forearm with her right and helping him the rest of the way down.

"Alright, who put a raw chicken in my desk?" Perry asked everyone as she came out of her office holding up a chicken. "Joke's on you, an old deli accident left me immune to salmonella."

She tossed the chicken into a random girl's arms, wiping the juices off on her suit. Then, she proceeded to speak even louder, "Attention, students! I'm a leprechaun!"

Ellie looked at Adam confusedly. "Hey, who said that? I just like to run after rainbows!" Perry yelled.

"I also have six toes on one foot," Ellie heard her voice, but the woman's mouth wasn't moving at all.

Perry stuttered. "I-It's not a sixth toe. It's an overgrown bunion and it gives me the balance of a lowland gorilla!"

Ellie couldn't help but giggle along with the student body even despite her confusion.