Chapter 1 | Nightmares & Clichés

I woke up to a dull ache in my chest

I woke up to a dull ache in my chest. The memory of that horrendous day has been on heavy rotation for the past couple of nights.

Event from the past:

I remember that day so vividly.

The day I saw my father cry for the first time.

One day, a span of measly 24 hours, brought a marriage of 9 years to a screeching halt.

The day I lost my mother.

I was sitting at the dinner table with my dad, trying to be feisty. I wanted him to buy me a new sundress that Anne had, but he kept arguing with me saying he would do no such thing, but my 8-year-old self couldn't take it.

"I want that dress papa, please?"

"Sasha, I am done having this conversation. I am not going to buy a new dress just because Anne has a similar one. You have enough dresses!" He said while picking on the food. I guess he wasn't very hungry.

"I don't get it, We have enough money. Anne has a lot less money th-"

"Sasha, enough!" My dad said in a raised voice.

"We must never talk about people's money. Just because we have enough, does not mean you can spend it on something so trivial! For you, it may be another dress, but to Anne, it may be something special. I don't want you to be so stubborn. Have I made myself clear?"

Tears had welled up in my eyes by the time he had finished. My dad looked at me for a long time and his expression had softened. He pulled my chair close to him and tried lifting me so he could place me on his lap. I refused to move by crossing my arms and turning my face in the opposite direction. He sighed and started speaking in a soft voice.

"I am sorry muffin. I just want you to learn. Papa never had much money growing up so I had to give up on a lot of things. I wanted toy cars, money for the arcade, and new sneakers, but my parents never gave me all of that. They couldn't. I don't blame your grandparents. They are very sweet people and did everything they could. But, not having much when I was a kid only helped me enjoy the little things I had. I want you to grow up like that. I want you to be humble always. Because qualities like humility can never be bought. Do you understand?"

I turned to face him and nodded slightly. It's not like I understood much.

But I'm pretty sure my 8-year-old brain knew when to shut up.

"Sasha, I want to buy everything for you, I would give you the whole world. But, I want you to understand that there are bigger things in life that can never be bought. You have to learn that now. I don't like to see you sad but life will always be like this, you won't always get what you want." My dad continued.

I looked down and played with my fingers, trying to process what he said. I knew he was right but not having something, sucked.

I had built dreams around that dress. Stupid Anne, had to buy the dress before me. But, I realized that my dad was right.