Chapter 2 | The New Guy

I can do this

I can do this

I can do this

I can do this

I chant this as I make my way from the car to  school.

Anne, Sam, and I agreed to meet near my locker before the, uhmm, breakup? for moral support.

Can you call something a breakup before it actually began?

No, idiot.

I just had to go incognito until then so Nathan doesn't spot me. That's the goal for now.

I make my way into the school while keeping my head down. I'm wearing some black skinny jeans with a black hoodie, which is unlike my usual dressing style but I need to go unnoticed.

It's not like I have great dressing style otherwise but I prefer to wear purple, blue, stripped, checked...You know, colourful cloths.

My plan worked. Nobody turned my direction but kept talking, first bumping or sloppily making out.

Ewwww.

The school is not that packed right now since we still have about 20 minutes before the first bell.

I decided to idle my time by going into the girls bathroom stall and going through my emails in hopes of seeing if any of the universities that I follow have notified applicants about some news.

Being in my senior year meant that I had to start thinking about colleges and  career prospects .

But here's the rub. I don't know what I want to do.

Anne and Sam have very clear ideas about what they want to do. Anne wants to take a business major in some reputed university and Sam wants to pursue a research degree in physics.

I am incredibly happy for them but it's scaring the shit out of me that I have absolutely no clue.

The thing is I have a reasonably good grade, if you consider a 3.7 GPA(Thanks to me two genius friends) good I mean. But I lack the ability to delve deep into something like my friends. I like to hop from one field to another without taking time to go inside.

For now, you can say, I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none.

My dad gives me incredible freedom in letting me choose what I want to do but every now and then he likes to teach me about microeconomics and some stuff about his company. I know he would love for me to follow in his footsteps but I am not sure if this is the path I want to go.

Nevertheless, he understands and fully supports my decision, whatever it is.

One day, my friend from French 101, Sadie told me about how she dreamt of going to Parsons School of Design. I knew of Parsons, of course, but I never took a special interest in it. But after I heard her speak so highly about the university, I did some research. Ever since I decided that Parsons would be my goal.