Chapter 15 | Introspection & My 3-G's Journal

I'm the kind of person who likes to be the leader in adversity

I'm the kind of person who likes to be the leader in adversity. It's always been that way.

Is that what they call a hero complex?

I think it partly has to do with the fact that when my mom left me and my dad in an absolute mess which involved public intervention, judgmental looks, and harsh news on tabloids, I always felt that I needed to be there for my dad more than he needed to be there for me.

That's how I cope.

I like to comfort other people who undergo the same or worse trauma as a way for me to vicariously live through the momentary peace they get when they think things might turn out okay.

I can never do that to myself because I would just end up in my own spiral that descends downwards.

But don't get me wrong, I've never wanted any praise or compliments in return for the small help that I do. I never need that. I just want the other person to know that I'm willing to go through the pain with them and would comfort them if they ever needed me.

That's it.

This is exactly what got me through the endless bullying a couple of years back.

Ryan McAllister was the bully who tormented me.

It was only through him that I realised how much weight words carry.

His words carried venom.

I wasn't the only target for him. No. Most of the student body suffered because of his foul mouth and lack of empathy when he had no reason to disrespect them. But he did. He always did.

If I were to describe him as a character then I would go for The Joker, any day.

He was a manipulative bastard who used people's insecurities against themselves.

How he knew to crack people's spirits as a then-14-year-old boy shocks me.

But I never showed my hurt or pain when he used to bully me like that. I would want to cry, badly, but I never did. I reasoned that it was because I didn't want to bother my dad more than he already was, I didn't want to seem like a sissy in front of Georgina(who'd never think that way, it's just my stupid brain), and my friends were subjects to this bullying as well, so they were hurting also.

So I never confided in any of them.

I just brushed off every insult he used to throw my way by telling myself that it was probably just some dumb middle school drama. It hurt but I convinced myself that it was trivial in the larger scheme of things.

I did, however, help my friends when they were bullied by Ryan. This way I was able to find solace from the constant insults hurled in my direction.

These thoughts fill my mind as I look at the spawn of satan walking across the field with some girl like he owns the whole place.