Chapter 24 | The inevitable tears

"Woah, Woah

"Woah, Woah...What the hell happened to you? You look awful."

After Suzanne's very brutal confrontation in the girl's room, It took every fibre in my body to keep going. But it's extremely hard when you hear some not-so-kind words from a person you hardly know.

I shouldn't let it affect me too much but my brain seems to be having other plans.

No seriously, I can think of how hot Christian Bale looks while I'm working on algebra for a super important quiz but I can't seem to think of a single distraction when I was verbally bitch slapped by a girl, again, I hardly know.

Who, if I may add, has an unhealthy crush on the guy I've liked ever since he stepped foot in the school.

And I definitely don't stand a chance to her.

Oh, the fucking joy.

I wanted the day to end so that I could go and visit the graveyard to pay respects to my mom. Desperately. But nope, the day had to go agonizingly slow.

I swear I couldn't see the minute hand moving in Mr. Seth's class.

But when I finally, finally, get out of another horrible day, Anne decides to instigate her friend who looks visibly irritated.

Anne, bless her heart, could never ever read the room even if her life depended on it.

That's one quality of her that I have a love-hate relationship with. At times, her brutal honesty is incredibly useful but at other times....It's not.

"Gee thanks for sparing my feelings," I say dryly and try to move around her but she doesn't budge.

"Are you going to answer me? What's going on?" Anne asks me again and looks around the almost empty driveway as though she's trying to find the reason for my somber mood.

Our friends our standing a few feet away from us, by the car. I hope they can't hear us now.

"Everything's fine Anne. Let's go home" I say and begin wringing my hands.

"No, you look really sick and you were fine this morning. Did something happen after lunch?"

I roll my eyes; "Are you done? Nothing happened Anne. Let's leave."

"Will you tell me later?" she asks expectantly.

I have half a heart to tell her yes and get this over with but something in me snaps when she treats me like I'm a fragile piece of glass who needs serious intervention because they are deranged.

"I have nothing to tell you, Anne...Why do you have to treat me like I'm not fine? Sure I look like I've seen better days but can't you just drop it? I'm not a kid, I can handle myself pretty well." I snap.

The others must have seen us just standing and talking, quite loudly(Anne's pretty loud when her patience gets tested), because they immediately stopped whatever they were talking about and looked at us with concern.