Chapter 23 | Another Admirer

"You've gotten everything you need?" I ask my dad as he wheels out his luggage towards the car

It's almost been a week since my dad told me that he wouldn't be here to spend my mom's death anniversary tomorrow.

Do I feel bad that he's not gonna be here? Definitely yes.

But do I also understand the situation he is in? I do.

Because I know that he isn't prioritizing work over his family. He's just needed in one place far more than the other. The meeting he's scheduled to attend tomorrow is supposedly a big deal and hence I cannot complain too much.

I hope my mom would understand. She always did.

"Yes sweetie," he says but I can feel he has something else to say.

"Papa, you don't have to feel bad. I totally understand. This isn't within our control. I'm sure mom would understand as well. We'll visit her together once you come back" I say reassuringly and hug him.

"Honey...I'm so sorry" He whispers as he bends down to kiss my hair.

I shut my eyes tightly and bite my lip hard to prevent tears from falling. I'm not going to make this harder for him than it already is.

We pull away and I notice that my dad looks ten years older than he actually is. The pain and suffering in his face is very evident.

"Alright go on now. You don't want to be late. Call me when you get there, okay? I'll visit Mom tomorrow and let you know how it went" I say, my voice coming out a little shaky.

My dad nods his head, gives me one last kiss on my hair, and moves towards the car parked in our driveway.

"Johnny, take good care of him," I shout and Johnathan, my dad's bodyguard/driver, just laughs, shakes his head, and waves back.

"Will do dear" he shouts back my dad pats his shoulder and they move into the car.

"Call me when you reach," I shout once more and my dad gives me a thumbs up as the car leaves.