Chapter 11 | The Group Lunch

"Alright! See you today at the party hun!" Willow says while I waved goodbye and we ended our virtual meeting

It's the next day and Willow and I decided to get some research work done for our ten-page essay. She wasn't too happy when I talked her into an early morning session, On a Sunday, to discuss the project but after I reminded her that she may not have time because of her packed schedule, she hesitantly agreed.

Anne and Sam were still sleeping and we had about five hours before the guys came over for the lunch and the carpooling trial today.

I'm pretty excited about hanging out with them but I'm super nervous about the fact that Nathan will also be coming today. I am pretty sure Matt is unaware of Nathan's arrival and I don't think he'll be too pleased about that, understandably.

I mean, come on, The last time they were in the same room, things weren't that great.

The smart part of my brain is telling me to call Matt and let him know that Nathan will be joining but the stupid part of my brain, which is currently winning, is telling me to not make the call.

I should definitely tell him. I am pretty sure he'd understand. Or at least I hope.

I keep glancing at my phone and I know that the more I delay the worse it's going to get.

I pick up the phone, turn it on but immediately put it back down.

Why am I getting so nervous? It's only a phone call to a friend.

I take a deep breath and quickly press Matt's caller ID and listen to the terrible sound of the phone ringing mixed with the loud drumming of my heart.

One ring—Nothing

Two rings—Nothing

Three rings—Nothing

Four rings—"Hello?"

I immediately bite my lip to prevent myself from cooing at his confused morning voice.

"Hi Matty," I say, barely audible.

"Sasha?" He asks, his voice filled with surprise.

"The one and only" I joke and chuckle nervously.

The line goes silent for a good ten seconds and I can hear him clearing his throat.

"What's up?", he asks but immediately adds, "Is everything okay?"

I'm filled with joy when I can hear the concern in his voice but I quickly compose myself.

"Everything's fine, um, thanks for asking. What about you? Is everything okay?"

"Hmm, everything's fine?" He says, his statement coming out as a question.

"Oh cool"

"What's the matter? Fuck—" he pauses and I hear some noise from his line," Thank god! I thought I overslept. The lunch isn't till 1:00 right?"