Chapter 25(Part 2) | Getting Closer

"Bye!", I shout as I pick up the car keys from the little bowl

"Where are you going?"

I turn around when I hear my mom's confused voice. I see her holding some novel in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.

Maggie who's sitting near the kitchen island doing her homework, looks from me to my mom as though we're going to have a showdown.

She's not too wrong...

"Out. With my friends", I emphasize the friends hoping that that would be enough for her to let me go.

She sighs and briefly glances at Maggie and I already know where her brain is going.

"Maggie honey, can you please go to your room?.", My mom asks and I drop my head and put the car keys into the bowl.

This is going to be one long conversation...

"But, I came here fi—", Maggie begins but stops when my mom gives her a stern look.

She closes her books, and stomps off to her room muttering something along the lines of "I can't even get my homework done peacefully."

"I heard that.", my mom shouts but Maggie doesn't respond as she's long gone to her room.

"Yes?", I ask wishing that this conversation is not going to go the way I'm thinking it would go.

"Matt...Baby...You know how much I love that you've got great friends and I'm really happy for you...", Okay, this new, I don't think I've ever seen her this nervous to talk to me about anything, "But...", she hesitates and my brows furrow in confusion.

"But what Mom?", I ask.

She takes a deep breath and looks at me guiltily, "Sweetie, It's just...I feel like you've not been spending enough time with Maggie."

"Wha-What?"

"Listen to me.", she sighs heavily and drops her voice to a hushed whisper, "I've been getting calls from school saying that she's being unusually quiet and it's going to the point where she doesn't even answer in classes."

"But she's getting good grades right?"

"She does but that's not what I'm talking about. She's extremely lonely here. The girl rarely talks to anyone but us and I'm worried. She doesn't go out to play, she prefers sitting at home doing her work or watching movies. I'm worried that—", she stops abruptly.

"She's being isolated by her classmates. I don't want that for her Matt."

"How long has this been going on? It's probably just a little fight...", I reason but she shakes her head.

"Right from when school started. I've seen it myself, Matt. Days when I go and pick her up she always asks me to hurry and ushers me into the car before I even get the chance to meet anyone. I didn't read too much into it, I thought that's just her being embarrassed but I just got the call a few days back where her homeroom teacher asked me to look into her silence."