( secrets )

Chapter 39

Lucy headed off to the library after her and Nevaeh arrived back inside the castle. As discussed Nevaeh and Ron did some studying together. Nevaeh found herself unable to shake off the lingering sense of unease that had settled over her since Harry's cryptic behavior earlier at Hagrid's hut. She found it hard to focus on anything else but her thoughts.

After a few hours Ron kissed Nevaeh goodnight and went to bed. Despite the late hour, Nevaeh knew she couldn't go to bed until she had some answers. Determined to confront Harry, Nevaeh decided to wait up in the common room.

Hours passed, the silence of the common room broken only by the occasional creaking of the floorboards and the distant hoot of an owl.

Nevaeh fought against her tired eyes, her eyes were focused on the portrait hole. Finally, Nevaeh heard the soft sound of footsteps approaching.

"Harry," Nevaeh called out, her voice tinged with urgency. "We need to talk."

Harry paused, his gaze meeting Nevaeh's with a mixture of surprise and apprehension. "Nevaeh, what are you doing up at this hour?"

"I could ask you the same thing," Nevaeh replied, her tone firm. "What's going on, Harry? Why won't you tell me what you're up to? I thought we—"

Harry hesitated, his jaw tightening with frustration. "It's complicated, Nevaeh. I can't explain everything right now."

Nevaeh's patience was wearing thin. "I deserve to know, Harry. We're friends and we—"

Harry's expression softened, a flicker of guilt passing through his eyes. "I know, Nevaeh. And believe me, I wish I could tell you everything. But right now, it's not safe."

Nevaeh's heart sank at his words, the weight of his secrecy bearing down on her. "Not safe? What do you mean?"

Harry glanced around the empty common room, his voice low and urgent. "There are things happening, things that I can't explain. But I need you to trust me, Nevaeh. Trust that I'm doing what's best to keep everyone safe."

Despite her frustration, Nevaeh couldn't deny the sincerity in Harry's voice. She knew he was keeping secrets for a reason, even if she didn't understand it. With a heavy sigh, she nodded reluctantly."I trust you, Harry," Nevaeh said quietly. "But please, promise me that you'll be careful. I can feel something bad is going to happen."

Harry nodded. "I promise, Nevaeh."

As Harry retreated to his dormitory, leaving Nevaeh alone in the dimly lit common room, she couldn't help but feel a sense of unease lingering in the air. She was left to wonder what dangers lay ahead.