( pink toad )

Chapter 6

  Nevaeh had never seen so much food at once. She was enjoying every last bit of it as they were seated in the great hall. The castle was amazingly big and Nevaeh couldn't wait to see the rest of it.

"Good evening, children. Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who'll be taking care of magical creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Dolores Umbridge." Professor Dumbledore spoke.

"And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the Professor good luck. Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you—" Dumbledore was interrupted by a nearly inaudible sound Umbridge made to get the attention. Dumbledore being the polite man he was stopped his speech and waited as Umbridge stepped forwards.

"She was at my hearing. She works for Fudge." Harry whispered.

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends. The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance." Umbridge spoke. Nevaeh was nearly blinded by the pink appearance of the woman. The woman must fancy pink very much.

"Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us perserve what must be preserved. Perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." At last she let out a high pitched giggle before walking back to her seat.

Dumbledore forced an applause but his face told differently. "Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That really was most illuminating."

"Illuminating? What a load of waffle." Ron muttered. Nevaeh grinned to herself but couldn't agree more.

"What's it mean?"

"It means the Ministry's interfering at Hogwarts."

...

After a quick tour around the castle which Ron had given to Nevaeh the two headed back to the Gryffindor common room.

"I can't believe my mom actually went here."

"Yeah and she was a brilliant witch too." Ron said. Nevaeh looked up at the redhead with a questioning look "How'd you know?"

"I found out she was a prefect like Hermione and I, read it in the list of previous prefects."

Nevaeh smiled proudly at herself and fiddled with the hem of her shirt as she imagined her mother walking through the same corridors. Ron couldn't help but stare at the stunning brunette walking besides him. The way her dimples appeared whenever she'd smile and how her brown locks framed her small face. He couldn't stop looking at her until they entered the common room and his attention turned towards the commotion going on.

"What's going on?" Ron asked and barged into the room with Nevaeh following from behind. She wasn't oblivious to the stares she got wherever she walked. Not only was she new but she was mainly known as Sirius Black's daughter and his name did not carry a good reputation. This did not make her ashamed, Nevaeh knew the truth and nobody would ever change that.

"He's mad, that's what's going on." Seamus, a short brunet boy scowled. "Do you believe the rubbish he's come out with about You-Know-Who?"