( falling )

Chapter 7

  "You look tired." Ron exclaimed as he looked at Nevaeh from the opposite of the Gryffindor table.

  "Yeah, you would be too if your roommate kept talking to you all night." Nevaeh said before yawning. Ron chuckled "Let me guess, Lucy Finnigan?"

  Nevaeh nodded and took another bite of her breakfast. Ron snickered "That girl's a pain in the ass sometimes."

  "Hey! She's really sweet." Nevaeh said but Ron continued laughing and Nevaeh couldn't help but grin at the sight of it.

  After their breakfast they headed for their first class and Nevaeh had never been more prepared. She carried the books in her hand and strolled down the corridors along with Ron and Hermione. Apparently Harry was a little late because he experienced a nightmare. Hermione was instantly worried but Harry had been a bit off a lot lately.

  They entered the classroom and greeted Harry who walked in after them. Nevaeh sat next to Hermione and laid her books on the table. The classroom was chattering loudly until suddenly someone made themselves known.

  "Good morning, children. Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls, more commonly known as OWLs."

  Nevaeh raised her eyebrows at the exaggerated high pitched voice and cocked her head to the side, grinning at her male friends.

  "Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe. Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic. Yes?"

  Nevaeh opened the book in front of her and read how everything inside of it was merely for beginners. Information of which she had already heard of way back in her first year at the Durmstrang Institute.

  Hermione had raised her hand and asked "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

  "Using spells? Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

  "We're not gonna use magic?" Ron asked.

  "You'll be learning about defense spells in a secure, risk-free way."

  "What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free." Harry exclaimed, Nevaeh nodded in agreement.

  "Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class! It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations which after all, is what school is all about."

  "And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry asked sounding somewhat annoyed.

  "There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"

  "Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort."

  Whispers were heard from around the classroom and Nevaeh furrowed her eyebrows. People were disbelieving out of fear but Nevaeh was never one to let fear rule.

  "Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie."

  "It's not a lie. I saw him. I fought him."

  "Detention, Mr. Potter."

  "According to you Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?"